For super moist chocolate cake, try this doctored cake mix recipe that makes THE BEST chocolate cupcakes around!
If you’re looking for how to improve a box cake mix, I have the #1 post on Google with all the best tips for how to make a box cake better – it really does have all the best tips!
For today, I’m sharing an easy cupcake mix recipe that incorporates my favorite tips! You’ll learn how to make the best chocolate cupcakes from a mix – easily!
I love a homemade chocolate cupcake recipe from scratch as much as the next person, but I also love to pull out a few ingredients from my pantry along with a cake mix for the added security of knowing my cake will turn out perfectly.
You can always find a cake mix in my pantry to use whenever it’s needed for a chocolate craving, a birthday, bake sale, or just a Friday night.
It’s just a good idea to always have ingredients needed for cupcakes on hand at all times, right? Right!
What is the best brand of cake mix?
I get asked about which brand of cake mix is better a lot – Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker or Pilsbury – and I have a hard time answering. I usually pick up a whatever is on sale and stock up in the process.
A quick Google search will tell you that there isn’t one clear winner. One is overall the best vanilla cake mix, another – the best chocolate cake mix.
My expert opinion – and that’s due to eating a lot of cake – is to go with one of the top brands that is on sale. You can’t go wrong! And if you get a cake mix with pudding in the mix, that’s a plus, too!
How many cupcakes do you get from a box of cake mix?
One box of cake mix makes between 24 and 30 regular-size cupcakes when each cupcake liner is filled with 1/3 cup of batter, according to the back of most cake mix boxes.
I’ve found that it’s right around 24 cupcakes if you use a scoop – like this one – to evenly add the batter to the cupcake pan.
What kind of cake mix do you use for chocolate cupcakes?
OH, I’m glad you asked! I LOVE a devil’s food cake for chocolate cake or cupcakes.
The batter is nice and thick – plus it has an amazingly rich flavor that every chocolate lover loves!
So, exactly what goes into these amazing chocolate cupcakes?
Ingredients needed that you most likely have on hand :
- Devil’s Food Cake Box Mix
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting – which I’m including in the recipe below!
Thankfully, I have THE BEST buttercream frosting ever made recipe for you! Just follow the link here –> How To Make Buttercream Frosting
Now that you have the info handy to make these little bites of heaven – here’s my favorite tools that you MUST -HAVE in your kitchen at all times for baking cupcakes (and cakes!)
Making your very own cupcakes at home is way better than buying them from the bakery. You control what goes in and what you get out of them! Give it a shot! I bet you won’t go back to the store for premade again!
Chocolate Cupcakes (From A Box Mix!)
- 15 ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding dry
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325° Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop (linked above) to fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
Butter Cream Frosting
Cream Cheese FrostingPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 stick unsalted butter - softened
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese - softened
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add confectioners, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add vanilla and salt. Mixing completely.
- Turn mixer to high and beat until light and fluffy.
Pin this for later!