For super moist chocolate cupcakes, try this recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes from a doctored cake mix. It really does make the absolute best chocolate cupcakes! Top with my homemade buttercream frosting and chocolate shavings.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
You’re going to love the chocolate flavor in these cupcakes. I honestly think that this is the best chocolate cupcake recipe ever! And it’s so simple – I bet this will become your new favorite way to make cake mix cupcakes easily at home!
If you’re looking for how to improve a box cake mix, I have a fantastic post with tips for how to make a box cake better. I love a homemade chocolate cupcake recipe from scratch as much as the next person, but I also love to pull out just a few ingredients from my pantry along with a cake mix for the added security of knowing my cake will turn out perfectly. Plus, you can really cut your prep time in half when you use a cake mix.
Chocolate Cupcakes (From a Doctored Cake Mix) Recipe
You can always find a cake mix in my pantry to use whenever it’s needed for a chocolate craving, a birthday, bake sale, or just a Friday night. I believe it’s just a good idea to always have ingredients needed for cupcakes on hand at all times, right? I’m sure you’re going to love these chocolate cupcakes with a few extra ingredients to make them really stand out. Top them with homemade frosting for a real treat (learn how to make the fluffiest buttercream frosting).
Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes (From a Doctored Cake Mix) Recipe
See the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Devil’s Food Cake Box Mix – Any brand will work, so use your favorite brand.
- Eggs – Needed to bind together all the other ingredients.
- Sour Cream – This adds a great moistness to the cupcakes!
- Milk – I use whole milk as I like the added richness.
- Pudding – Adding pudding is another great way to create a moist texture. No one wants dried-out cupcakes!
- Oil – I like to use vegetable oil for cake mix recipes.
- Vanilla – The added hint of vanilla is so good!
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes From a Doctored Cake Mix
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 325° Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Combine the dry ingredients: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake liners: Use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes: Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and apply frosting: Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting. Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before icing to avoid any crumbs getting in the frosting. You can also place the cupcakes in the fridge to get a bit cold before frosting.
How To Store Chocolate Cupcakes From a Doctored Cake Mix
Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Eat cold from the fridge or bring to room temperature before serving.
Duncan Hines brand chocolate cake mix is recommended as the best cake mix to use at popular cake making and decorating classes.
The milk adds fat, which results in better flavor and density in your cake.
Yes! The only two differences between cake and cupcake mix is that you bake cupcakes in a cupcake tin and you’ll bake them a bit shorter than you would a cake.
The answer is – add ins! Stir in no more than 1 cup of mix-ins. For vanilla or yellow cake mixes, try adding diced crystallized ginger, dried fruit, or fresh berries. For chocolate or vanilla cake mixes, try adding unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted chopped nuts, or chocolate chips.
Quick & Easy Desserts
Chocolate Cupcakes (From a Doctored Cake Mix)
- 1 15 oz. ounce box box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding (dry)
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcake liners about ¾ full.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
Butter Cream Frosting
Pin this for later!