These air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts are crispy, cheesy, and about to become your new favorite side dish!
There are a lot of things that happen when you get older. Your idea of a good time is an hour of uninterrupted cleaning! You enjoy saving money instead of spending it! And suddenly, the Brussels sprouts you turned away as a kid have become your favorite vegetable. If you’re a member of the Brussels sprout lover club, then you’re going to love this recipe for air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts!
Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
I thought that roasting Brussels sprouts was my favorite way to make them, but then I discovered air fryer Brussels sprouts. Whoa! They’re quicker this way and you can get them to be delightfully crispy without a ton of oil.
And when you want crispy Brussels sprouts? Well, smashing them is the way to go. By steaming them first, you can give the sprouts a good whack and get them flat. Smashed Brussels sprouts give you more surface area for crisping up, and also more surface area for seasoning with tangy balsamic vinegar and savory Parmesan cheese. If you’re still not convinced that Brussels sprouts are delicious, these air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts will change your mind!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar – Use a thick, syrupy balsamic vinegar if you can find one. They have the best flavor and won’t make your sprouts soggy!
- Grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can add chili flakes or fresh or dried herbs (I love thyme, sage, and rosemary with Brussels sprouts!) to your smashed Brussels sprouts if you like. You can also serve them with brown butter for dipping or drizzling, or sprinkle them with bacon. (Bacon and Brussels sprouts are awesome together!)
How to Make Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
1. Steam the Brussels Sprouts
Place the sprouts in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup of water. Microwave for 4 minutes, then cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Smash the Brussels Sprouts
Place the Brussels sprouts on a cutting board and use the bottom of a small bowl or back of a large spoon to smash them.
Transfer the smashed Brussels sprouts to a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, vinegar, grated Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
4. Air Fry
Place the Brussels sprouts in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook them for 6 minutes at 400ºF, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. Serve immediately.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
You can store the Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat them in the microwave, air fryer, or oven. I don’t recommend freezing them.
Why are my Brussels sprouts not crispy?
If your Brussels sprouts aren’t crispy, there could be a few potential reasons. First, it could be that your Brussels sprouts were over cooked in the microwave. Second, you might simply need to cook the Brussels sprouts longer in the air fryer. The third explanation is that you may have crowded your Brussels sprouts in the air fryer basket, which can lead to them being soggy instead of crispy.
What can I serve with these air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts?
You can use these as a side dish or an appetizer! Some of my favorite main dishes to pair with these Brussels sprouts are Easy Baked Chicken Breasts and Crock Pot Ham. If you’re making them as an appetizer, consider serving them with Cranberry Brie Bites.
Can I make smashed Brussels sprouts without an air fryer?
Yes! You can cook them at 400ºF in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping them at the halfway point.
More Reader Favorite Veggie Sides
- Homemade Creamed Corn (Crock Pot Option!)
- Roasted Broccoli
- Mashed Potatoes
- Individual Green Bean Casseroles
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- 1 12 oz bag of Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- To smash the Brussels Sprout, you need to microwave them. In a large microwave-safe dish, place the uncooked Brussels sprouts add ¼ cup of water, and cook for 4 minutes at high temperature.
- Remove for the microwave and let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes
- Place the Brussel Sprout on a cutting board, and with the back of a small bowl, smash the Brussels; you can also use the back of a large spoon.
- Place the smashed Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grated parmesan, salt, and pepper. Mix gently until the Brussels sprouts are well coated.
- Place in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 400 ˚F, flip them halfway.
- Serve immediately.
- You can keep the Brussels sprout in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 4 days. Do not freeze.
- You can serve these as an appetizer or side dish.
- If you like a little spice, you can add some chili flakes to give it a kick!