Breakfast is a breeze when it’s a Crockpot Breakfast Casserole! Assemble it before bedtime and wake up to a hearty breakfast with hash browns, sausage, veggies, eggs, and cheese.
Lately, the Instant Pot is getting a lot of love on food blogs, but let’s not forget about our trusty slow cookers! Sometimes you want things in an instant, but other times low and slow is the way to go. This Crockpot Breakfast Casserole is the perfect example! Layer the ingredients and pour over the eggs at the end of the day, and you’ll have breakfast ready and waiting for you in the morning.
Seriously, how amazing would it be to have a filling sausage breakfast casserole for breakfast and not have to do any work other than spooning it onto a plate?!
Easy Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I love that this recipe is a complete breakfast in one crockpot! You’ve got hash browns, veggies, protein, eggs, and cheese—other than a glass of orange juice to wash it all down, what more could you possibly need?
When the weather is chilly and you want a warm, hearty breakfast, this Crockpot Breakfast Casserole can’t be beat. Of course, it’s also perfect for serving at a brunch get-together or holiday breakfast. And if you don’t have time to wait for a slow cooker breakfast, you can go with a more traditional Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole.
- Frozen hash brown potatoes – Don’t get the shredded kind! They’ll get too soft in the crockpot.
- Pork sausage
- Onion – Yellow, white, or red will work.
- Green bell pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese – You can’t have a Crockpot Breakfast Casserole without plenty of cheese!
- Eggs – Here’s how to crack an egg perfectly every time.
- Green bell pepper – If you’re not a fan of the flavor of green bell peppers, you can use yellow, red, or orange in your Crockpot Breakfast Casserole.
- Vegetarian – Swap the pork sausage for a plant-based equivalent or use sautéed mushrooms instead.
- Cheese – You can use another type of shredded cheese if you like. I recommend one with an assertive flavor rather than something mild like mozzarella.
How to Make Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
Grease a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Assemble the Casserole
Place half the potatoes at the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer half of the sausage over the potatoes, then half of the onion, green pepper, and cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3. Whisk the Eggs
Combine the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until well-combined.
4. Finish the Casserole
Pour the egg mixture evenly over the Crockpot Breakfast Casserole layers.
Place the cover on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or until the eggs are set.
Hint: Assuming you sleep about 8 hours, you’ll want to turn on the slow cooker right before you go to bed unless it has a timer that allows it to turn on at a certain time automatically.
- Garnishes – Serve Crockpot Breakfast Casserole with hot sauce, sliced green onions, ketchup (if that’s your thing), or any other garnishes and accompaniments.
- Tex-Mex Style – Swap the pork sausage for chorizo, the green pepper for pickled jalapeños, and the cheddar with Monterey Jack or pepper jack.
- Ham – If you have leftover cooked ham, you can use that in place of the pork sausage.
How do you know when a crockpot breakfast casserole is done?
If you have a food thermometer, the center of the casserole should reach 160ºF. Otherwise, the eggs should be set and when you insert a knife in the center, it should come out clean.
How do you reheat a crockpot breakfast casserole?
You can warm it up in the microwave or you can place it in a baking dish, cover it with foil, and reheat it at 375ºF until it’s warmed through. The time needed depends on the amount of casserole being heated, but it will usually take between 20 to 30 minutes for a few servings.
Is it safe to cook eggs in a slow cooker?
Yes, it’s safe to cook eggs in a slow cooker as long as you cook them until they’re set and/or reach 160ºF.
Leftovers from this Crockpot Breakfast Casserole will last in the fridge for up to 3 days, which makes it great for meal prep!
If you’re looking for more….try these recipes next!
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Simple Breakfast Casserole
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 package 30 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes – (not shredded)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, layer half of the potatoes, sausage, onion, green pepper, and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until eggs are set.