This creamy coleslaw dressing is better than anything that you can ever buy at the grocery store! It’s an easy recipe with basic ingredients that provide the perfect balance for your cabbage mix.
Once you make this homemade coleslaw dressing recipe, you’re going to be pairing this side dish with every one of your favorite grilling recipes all summer long!
The best part about making homemade dressing for coleslaw is that it has the perfect refreshing taste! Once you make it once, you’ll never buy anything store-bought again!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Creamy Dressing for a Classic Coleslaw Recipe
You’re going to be making this up for a traditional picnic treat! This makes enough dressing for a delicious side dish that has a unique flavor that you’ll love. You can smother the crunchy cabbage with the great flavor of this perfect coleslaw dressing. It’s as simple as literally adding to your favorite bag of coleslaw mix.
I’ve been making this easy coleslaw dressing recipe for years and it’s always a hit! It’s my go-to summer recipe when I want to make something cool and refreshing. Or when I have a head of cabbage and need an easy recipe to whip up!
Ingredients For The Best Coleslaw Recipe
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Mayonnaise – You can use regular or light.
- Spicy or dijon mustard – I like to use spicy but the kids prefer regular.
- Onion powder – This is a key ingredient for flavor.
- Sugar – You can also use a sugar alternative if you don’t want to add sugar.
- Celery seed – This is a great addition to taste.
- Cider vinegar – You can use apple cider vinegar.
- Lemon juice – Can use lime juice as well.
How To Make Coleslaw Dressing
- Add the mayo: Add the mayonnaise to a jar.
- Mix the seasonings: Add in the seasoning and the mustard and stir.
- Add the liquid: Add in the lemon juice and the vinegar.
- Shake: Put the lid on the jar and shake until mixed.
- Shake again: Add salt and pepper and put on the lid and shake again.
- Chill: Chill until ready to add to your cabbage.
- Store: Store in the fridge.
Even though this cole slaw dressing is simple and easy to do, there are a few tips to keep in mind.
Adding in the lemon juice adds the perfect citrus flavor and taste. Mixed with the 1/2 cup mayonnaise, it really does combine quite well. The white sugar adds the right amount of sweetness to balance it all out.
How To Store Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
The best way to store this creamy coleslaw dressing is in the jar you made it in. The dressing can be stored in the air in the refrigerator for up to one week but will be best for the first 3 days after it is made. When you want to add the dressing to the coleslaw, give the dressing a good shake in the jar and pour it on the cabbage mixture.
All you need to do is use your food processor or box grater and chop up your green cabbage and red cabbage that way. You can even add in some broccoli and turn it into a broccoli slaw, too.
YES! I’ve used either type, and they all work out great.
You can add it a day in advance but the sooner that you do add it, it will take away some of the crunch factors of the recipe.
For the best flavor and taste, the recipe should be eaten within 3 days of making it.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon or spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl or wide mouth jar with a lid, add mayo½ cup mayonnaise
- Then add mustard and seasoning, stir to combine1 tablespoon dijon or spicy mustard, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons sugar, ½ teaspoon celery seed
- Add vinegar and lemon juice1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place lid on jar and shake until well combined
- Add salt and pepper to taste, place on lid and shake againSalt and pepper to taste
- Chill until ready to serve with coleslaw
- Store in refrigerator