Storebought pizza dough makes this pepperoni bread a breeze to make. The simple and fun recipe is great for all occasions. Serve it up as an appetizer or a side dish with your main meal.
Pepperoni bread is always a crowd-pleaser. With pepperoni, loads of Italian seasoning, and piles of cheese stuffed inside pizza dough, you really can’t go wrong. Good luck having just one piece of the pepperoni bread — it’s so good and oh so addicting.
Easy Pepperoni Bread Recipe
Pepperoni bread is the sort-of cousin to pepperoni rolls, which first became popular as a staple lunch for coal miners in West Virginia. It was so popular, in fact, that it was declared the state’s official food. The bread is a riff off the recipe and turns the portable dish into a side dish or appetizer that is has a much prettier presentation.
Storebought pizza dough is the key to making this recipe. It keeps the recipe so simple and allows everyone to get involved in the cooking process, no matter their skills in the kitchen. Once the pizza dough is rolled out, the ingredients then get added in to create layers and layers of flavor. The dough is then rolled up super tight, ensuring you get a pepperoni in every single bite.
Pizza sauce is our dipping sauce of choice when it comes to pepperoni bread. The classic marina sauce goes perfectly with all of the ingredients, and it’s basically like eating a deconstructed pizza.
Ingredients for Pepperoni Bread
- Storebought pizza dough — Make sure the dough is at room temperature.
- Unsalted butter
- Italian seasoning – Gives the bread that true Italian flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Red Pepper Flakes – Give the bread a nice kick, but doesn’t make it spicy.
- Kosher Salt
- Sliced Pepperoni – Pre-sliced pepperoni will make sure all of the slices are even throughout the bread.
- Mozzarella cheese – Go with pre-shredded to keep the process simple.
- Parmesan cheese – Make sure it is grated.
- 1 Egg
- Pizza sauce – Great for dipping.
How to Make Pepperoni Bread
Preheat the oven to 375 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll Out the Dough
Flour a work surface and roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about 12×18 inches all around.
3. Add in the Layers
In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the seasoning and brush one-half of the mixture across the dough. Evenly spread out the pepperonis and cheese. Tightly roll the dough into one piece, starting on the longer side of the rectangle. Place the dough on the baking sheet seam side down and add the egg wash to the bread.
Bake the bread for about 25-30 minutes, or until it has a nice golden brown color. Take the bread out of the oven and brush it with the remaining butter spice mixture and let cool. When ready to serve, slice the bread and serve with a pizza dipping sauce.
Can you freeze Pepperoni Bread?
Pepperoni bread freezes very well and can be stored in the freezer for about two months. You can even prep the bread ahead of time, bake it, and then store it in the freezer until you are ready to serve. When you are ready to put it all on the plate, thaw the bread the night before or a few hours before you want to put it out. Place it in the oven on low temp to fully warm up and get the cheesy gooey again.
Does the bread need to be refrigerated?
Pepperoni bread can be left out while eating, making it perfect for that causal appetizer or game-day snack. However, if you have some leftovers that you are not freezing, wrap them up and stick them in the refrigerator. They will last a few days as long as they are in an airtight container, similar to leftover pizza.
What should I serve Pepperoni Bread with?
Not sure when to eat your pepperoni bread? Eat it whenever you’d like! Serve it up as a side dish, along with a big salad and pasta dinner, turn it into a riff on pizza night, or keep it out for that game-day snack. It is one of those great dishes that are super versatile.
Can I add other ingredients to the bread?
Of course! Want to stuff your bread with more than pepperoni? Go for it! Add sausage, salami, or really whatever you are craving. Go with more cheese or even add some veggies into the mix. Just remember to adjust the size of your dough and bake time if more ingredients are added to the final product.
More Great Appetizers
Pepperoni Bread Bread Recipe
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush
- 1 lb. store bought pizza dough room temperature
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz sliced pepperoni
- 8 oz low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 ea large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the pizza dough into a 12”x18” rectangle.1 lb. store bought pizza dough
- Melt the butter with the seasonings in a small saucepan over low heat. Brush ⅔ of the butter over the dough reserving the rest for later.3 tbsp unsalted butter, 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp red pepper flakes, ½ tsp kosher salt
- Spread a layer of pepperoni over the dough followed by the cheese.6 oz sliced pepperoni, 8 oz low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese, ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- From a long side, roll the dough into a tight log and place onto the prepared baking sheet, seam-side down.
- Beat the egg and water together and brush over the roll. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with remaining butter. Slice and serve.1 ea large egg, 1 tbsp water