One my my favorite comfort meals from my childhood is Chicken Salad Sandwiches. You know, one of those meal you crave when you need a pick me up and that takes you right back to a time long ago with the first bite? My grandmother used to make the best chicken salad! It wasn’t fancy or hard to make, but it was comfort to me. We’d have it on a sandwich of white toast with noodles on the side. She would make elbow macaroni from the broth the noodles were cooked in. Oh it was so good!
I’ve since started making this meal for my children and they’ve grown to love it, as well! This is a super easy version without all the bells and whistles you get in some restaurants today. You could add in apples, grapes, curry or whatever you like to this basic recipe. But, we like it as is. Enjoy with a side of macaroni that’s been cooked in the broth leftover from what you cooked the chicken in and you have a good, old fashioned, homestyle meal!
As hard as I’ve tried, my version isn’t exactly like what my grandmother would make and there isn’t a recipe written down. This is pretty close with the addition of dill – which I love! And, I use whole wheat bread. It’s still yummy!
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 stalks celery - diced
- 4-5 hardboiled eggs - diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup miracle whip
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinagar
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the chicken breasts in pot of water with salt and pepper until tender - about 30 minutes
- Remove from pot (keeping water in pot) and shred with two forks.
- Add in diced celery, eggs, and pickle relish
- In a separate bowl, mix mayo and miracle whip, sugar, dill and vinegar - forming a dressing.
- Pour mixed dressing over chicken mixture.
- Stir unill combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on toast or with crackers and a side of noodles.