Old Fashioned Chicken Salad! This classic comfort recipe comes from my grandmother and includes chopped chicken, celery, boiled eggs, and pickle relish mixed in a mayonnaise/miracle whip “dressing”.
This favorite meal from my childhood is always what I turn to when I need a little comfort – Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
This dish takes me right back to my grandmother’s kitchen table for this amazing best chicken salad!
How To Make Classic Chicken Salad
I’ve started making this meal for my children and they’ve grown to love it, as much as I do.
You could add in apples, grapes, or curry for a more “jazzed up” chicken salad. But, this classic version is my favorite.
This is a simple classic chicken salad recipe which includes shredded and chopped poached chicken, celery, hard-boiled eggs, and pickle relish then mixed in a mayonnaise/miracle whip “dressing”
- Chicken – use your favorite “fresh” chicken for this recipe. Chicken breasts, chicken thighs are perfect! You can also use a whole chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Eggs – hardboiled
- Chopped Celery – adds a little crunch and flavor
- Dill – you don’t have to add dill but I love the flavor it brings to this chicken salad
- Mayonaise/Miracle Whip – I like a mixture of both for this recipe. It adds a perfect tanginess
- Nuts/Fruit – a lot of people love to add walnuts, pecans, and grapes into their chicken salad
How to Cook Chicken for Chicken Salad
This easy chicken recipe can use pretty much any kind of chicken but I prefer to use chicken breasts that have been boiled before shredding and chopping. I’ve used a rotisserie chicken in a pinch and even cooked a whole chicken that is my absolute for the best flavor!
Freezing Chicken Salad
I wouldn’t recommend freezing chicken salad. Mayonaise dishes usually don’t turn out after they’ve been in the freezer.
As hard as I’ve tried, my version isn’t exactly like what my grandmother would make and there isn’t a recipe written down. This is pretty close with the addition of dill – which I love! And, I use whole wheat bread. It’s still yummy!
More Easy Lunch Recipes
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 stalks celery - diced
- 4-5 hardboiled eggs - diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup miracle whip
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinagar
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the chicken breasts in pot of water with salt and pepper until tender - about 30 minutes
- Remove from pot (keeping water in pot) and shred with two forks.
- Add in diced celery, eggs, and pickle relish
- In a separate bowl, mix mayo and miracle whip, sugar, dill and vinegar - forming a dressing.
- Pour mixed dressing over chicken mixture.
- Stir unill combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on toast or with crackers and a side of noodles.