One of my favorite blogs has some wonderful recipes on it that we use all the time. I’ve never been disappointed with any of them that I’ve tried and this recipe is no different! This week we made 100 Days of Real Food’s Whole Wheat Banana Bread into muffins and changed it up just a tiny bit.
I decided to turn this recipe into muffins so that I could share some with my sister, who is a new mom, and have some for our house for the week for breakfast and for lunch boxes. I’ll pop them in the freezer and pull one out to stick in the kid’s lunchboxes in the morning and they’ll be thawed and ready to go by lunchtime. Perfect!
The batter was a bit thick for muffins so I added coconut milk to thin it out and I was really happy with the way they turned out! I topped some with coconut and left some without. Choices. Kids love choices. : ) I ended up with 12 full size muffins and about 10 mini-muffins. Packed full of good-for-you ingredients, these Whole Wheat Banana Muffins will be a mainstay in our household from now on!
- 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour - I use King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ? cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk reg milk would be fine, too
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- unsweetened coconut for topping muffins optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease muffin pan or add muffin liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Top with unsweetened coconut if desired.
- Bake large muffins for 18 minutes or mini muffins for 12 minutes.