Making fried rice at home is easier than you think! Find out the secret for getting the perfect fried rice recipe every time.
I always love ordering fried rice from our favorite Chinese restaurant, but it took me some time to figure out how to make simple fried rice at home. It always came out soggy and oily, never with that perfect texture you get from the takeout version. What was I doing wrong?!
Easy Fried Rice Recipe
So here’s the secret to fried rice: you have to use leftover rice. There’s just no way around it! Usually when I have fried rice on the menu for the week, I’ll make a double batch of my Instant Pot rice, then we have that with a stir fry the first night, then a day or two later, I make this fried rice recipe.
You can also customize this recipe easily! If I have leftover Air Fryer Chicken Breasts too, I’ll throw in some chicken. You can make this with or without the eggs, or add some sriracha for heat. If you’re not into peas and carrots, try edamame or sliced mushrooms. Pineapple tidbits are an awesome addition too!
- Cooked white rice – It should be at least one day old.
- Sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Frozen peas and carrots – These will need to be thawed.
- Onion – You can swap the small onion for a shallot if you’d like a more pronounced flavor.
- Garlic – Feel free to use more if you love garlic!
- Soy sauce
How to Make Fried Rice
1. Cook the Veggies
Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok set over medium-high heat. Add the peas, carrots, onion, and garlic; stir fry until they’re tender.
2. Scramble the Eggs
Reduce the heat to medium-low and push the vegetables to one side of the pan. Pour the eggs onto the other side and stir fry until they’re scrambled.
Add the rice and soy sauce; stir and cook until the rice is dry and everything is heated through.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Fried Rice
Keep fried rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a skillet or in the microwave. You can also divide the rice and place it in a freezer bag. Press out the air, seal, lay flat, and freeze.
What is the secret to fried rice?
The secret is using leftover rice! This dries it out and gives it that perfect fried rice texture. The rice should also be cold when you put it in the skillet.
What gives Chinese fried rice its flavor?
Soy sauce is the primary flavor in fried rice, but the onion and garlic will add some flavor too.
Can you fry uncooked rice?
No! The rice you use to make fried rice needs to be cooked first. Cook it a day or two in advance for best results.
More Reader Favorite Side Dishes
- 3 cups cooked white rice day old or leftover rice works best!
- 1.5 tbs sesame oil
- 1.5 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 1 small onions chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- On medium high heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add the peas/carrots mix, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender.
- Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to one side, then pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled.
- Now add the rice and soy sauce and blend all together well. Stir fry until thoroughly heated.
- You can also divide and place into freezer bag. Press out air, seal, lay flat and freeze.