Perfect for potlucks and for making ahead, this Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese is sure to please even the pickiest palate!
What kid doesn’t love macaroni and cheese? What adult, for that matter, doesn’t love macaroni and cheese?! People LOVE Mac N’ Cheese—it’s a proven fact. That yummy, cheesy, cozy side dish is increasingly becoming the main dish for a lot of meals. Add a veggie side to this Crock Pot Mac N’ Cheese and you’re good to go!
Easy Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Although there’s nothing wrong with Mac N’ Cheese from a box—and everyone who has kids probably has a stockpile of boxed mac in their pantry!—there’s definitely something to be said for homemade macaroni and cheese.
It’s creamier, cheesier, and all-around irresistible, but it’s also a pain to make with the roux and the baking. That’s where this Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese recipe comes in. It’s a cinch!
While I came up with this recipe as a weeknight meal for my family, it’s also easy to scale up when you need to feed a crowd. It’s perfect for a holiday side dish or serving as part of a Game Day spread.
You can even make Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese for a Mac N’ Cheese bar! Set out a bunch of different topping options and let people customize their bowls.
(Want to try another version of mac and cheese? You’ll love my Southern Baked Mac and Cheese too!)
- Uncooked elbow macaroni
- Dry mustard
- Sour cream
- Condensed cheddar cheese soup
- Sharp cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Whole milk
Cheese – For a little bit of a kick, use pepper jack cheese.
Cheddar cheese soup – Use condensed broccoli cheese soup or nacho cheese soup for a different flavor.
Macaroni – You can use rotini, cavatappi, or shells instead of elbow noodles if you prefer, like my Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese.
How to Make Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Make the noodles – Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente (about 7 minutes), then drain well.
- Make the cheese sauce – In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and cheese until the cheese melts. Stir in the sour cream, soup, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to slow cooker – Once the sauce is smooth, add the drained macaroni and milk. Stir to coat, then transfer the Mac N’ Cheese to the crock pot. Cover and set the crock pot to warm. Stir occasionally until you’re ready to eat.
For a baked Mac N’ Cheese effect, you can toast breadcrumbs in a skillet with butter, then sprinkle them over the Mac N’ Cheese after ladling it into bowls or onto plates.
Tex-Mex – Use nacho cheese soup and pepper jack cheese; fold in drained Ro-Tel tomatoes and chiles before serving and top with crumbled tortilla chips.
Broccoli Mac – Use broccoli cheese soup; stir frozen broccoli florets into the cheese sauce with the pasta.
Loaded Mac – Ladle the Mac N’ Cheese into bowls and top with crumbled bacon, sliced green onions, and a dollop of sour cream.
Cheeseburger Mac – Brown ground beef in a skillet; drain off the fat and stir into the Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese with a can of Ro-Tel, then top with toasted breadcrumbs and sliced green onions.
Cheddar is always the classic choice for Mac N’ Cheese, but that doesn’t mean you can’t switch things up! Don’t be afraid to experiment with other cheeses you like or happen to have on hand.
This is the best method of making Mac N’ Cheese if you want to keep it warm for a while! With Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese, you’ll leave the mac in the slow cooker at a low temperature so it stays hot for as long as you need it to.
If the sauce thickens in the slow cooker, you can add more milk to make it smooth and creamy again.
If you’re looking for more….try these recipes next!
- Crock Pot Lasagna
- Creamy Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- Simple Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Cornbread Dressing
- Slow Cooker Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
- Homemade Creamed Corn
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 sour cream
- 1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup 10 3/4 oz
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- Boil the macaroni in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the sour cream, soup, dry mustard, salt, and pepper – stir until well combined.
- Add drained macaroni and milk and stir again.
- Place Mac N’ Cheese in the crock pot set on the warm setting, stirring occasionally until ready to serve.