This creamy crockpot chicken is easy, delicious, and always a hit with the family! With minimal effort, you’ll get maximum flavor thanks to the slow cooker.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for easy dinner ideas—especially ones made with chicken. Whether it’s Chicken and Waffles, Dorito Chicken Casserole, or King Ranch Chicken Casserole, somehow chicken is always a winner in my house!
One of my favorite recipes is this Creamy Crockpot Chicken. It’s a simple meal to make, and it’s basically the best kind of comfort food—creamy, flavorful, and cozy. And of course, we can’t forget that this dish is made in the slow cooker, which means all you have to do is throw in the ingredients and let them cook. So easy!
This recipe is right up there with our top-rated Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles and Slow Cooker Crack Chicken, which is also delicious on the stovetop!
Creamy Crockpot Chicken Recipe
The main ingredient here is boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which are simmered in a creamy sauce flavored with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Once the chicken is fall-apart-tender, you’ll shred it and stir in sour cream to make the sauce even richer.
Serve with rice or egg noodles and a side of steamed veggies for a complete meal everyone is sure to love! With very little effort, you can have a delicious chicken dinner on the table in no time. That’s always a win, right?
Grab My Favorite Tools
Click on the products below to see my favorite tools for making this recipe!
Ingredients for Creamy Crockpot Chicken
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – Skinless chicken thighs are also an option here.
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper – You can add a little extra for some more oomph in the sauce.
- Cream of chicken soup – Feel free to swap in cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery for something different.
- Chicken stock
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder – This adds lots of garlicky flavor without having to mince a bunch of garlic cloves!
- Sour cream – Use full-fat for the creamiest sauce.
- Fresh parsley
Rice or egg noodles
- Add sliced mushrooms with the chicken to up the veggies in this recipe.
- In addition to the garlic powder and Italian seasoning, you can add some smoked paprika for a bit of a smoky finish.
How to Make Creamy Crockpot Chicken
- Prepare: Coat the inside of a slow cooker with nonstick spray. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, then season both sides with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Make the sauce: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soup, chicken stock, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Cook: Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Finish: Remove the chicken and let it cool slightly, then shred chicken with a fork. Return the chicken to the slow cooker along with the sour cream and stir everything together.
- Serve: Spoon the creamy chicken over rice or egg noodles, garnishing with the parsley.
The best way to know when chicken is done cooking is to use a meat thermometer. The chicken will read 165ºF when cooked through.
Creamy crockpot chicken is delicious served over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes, Instant Pot rice, or egg noodles. Serve with steamed broccoli or your favorite veggie for a complete meal. It also makes for great leftovers the next day—just enjoy it as is or turn it into a tasty sandwich!
How to Store Creamy Crockpot Chicken
Leftover creamy crockpot chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
No, you do not need to cover chicken in liquid when cooking it in a crockpot.
Yes! The chicken will become very tender and juicy when cooked in the slow cooker due to the low heat and moist environment.
You can cook chicken breast in the crockpot on low or high heat. Choose the option that works best for your schedule!
The best way to cook chicken is to slow cook it in a crockpot or instant pot, like my Instant Pot Whole Chicken. This will ensure that your chicken stays moist and juicy, with no risk of drying out! Another good tip is to use a meat thermometer when checking for doneness—stop cooking it when it hits 165ºF and your chicken will be nice and moist.
More Slow Cooker Recipe Ideas
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
15 Cozy Dinner Ideas for Cold Winter Days
25+ Cheap Crockpot Meals Your Family Will Love
Creamy Crockpot Chicken
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Rice or egg noodles cooked
- Coat the inside of a slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, then season both sides with salt and pepper. Arrange in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soup, chicken stock, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Pour over the top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. If using a meat thermometer, the chicken will read 165 F when cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, let cool slightly, then shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the slow cooker along with the sour cream. Stir together.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles, garnishing with the parsley.