This Beer Cheese Dip Recipe combines shredded cheese, a light lager beer, butter, milk, and spices to create a smooth, cheesy dip that guarantees to impress! This hot cheese dip is packed full of so much flavor and ready within 15 minutes making it a perfect option as a party food and even game day appetizer!
Easy Game Day Cheesy Dip Recipe
This beer cheese dip recipe is seriously one of my favorites. It is so easy to create and is perfect for parties or even game day!
If you are a fan of delicious cheesy dips, try this Buffalo Chicken Dip!
Beer Cheese Dip Ingredients
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted. Whatever you have on hand.
- Four – to thicken the dip
- Beer – Make sure to choose a beer you like. I use a light lager.
- Whole milk – This makes this dip nice and creamy.
- Shredded cheese (I prefer cheddar and gruyere)
- Dijon mustard – regular or whole grain.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder, Salt, Black pepper, Cayenne pepper
How To Make Beer Cheese Dip
Heat butter in a large saucepan or sauté pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add flour, and whisk until completely combined.
Add in the beer, milk, Worcestershire, mustard, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Continue cooking until the mixture has thickened.
Add cheese and whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to low. Taste and season the dip with salt and pepper, as needed.
Enjoy! Serve immediately and enjoy! (Dip will thicken a bit the longer it sets.)
This beer cheese dip recipe is seriously so delicious. You will love the bold flavors that pop through in every single bite.
Tips For Making The Best Beer Cheese Dip
- Be sure to grab a block of cheese for this easy beer cheese dip recipe. Store-bought shredded cheese typically has a coating that prevents the cheese from melting smoothly.
- This dip can be served cold or hot depending on your preference.
- If your dip appears to be too thick, you can whisk in a little bit of milk to help thin it. If you find your beer cheese dip is too thin, add a little more cheese to find the right consistency.
- Technically you can use any variety of beer, but I prefer to use a Lagar beer for this recipe.
- To keep your beer cheese dip warm, you can easily make it and then add it to a small crockpot set to warm. This allows it to stay warm throughout the whole party and it won’t get too thick.
What do I dip in this dip?
There are so many options for dipping in this yummy cheese dip! To serve it pub-style use soft pretzels or try these other options
- Pretzel Bites – homemade or store-bought
- Tortilla chips
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this recipe ahead of time. You will want to let it cool completely after making it and then cover and place it in the fridge covered.
To reheat, you will want to stir it and warm it up on the stove on low. If it is too thick mix in a little more milk.
How do I store beer cheese dip?
This dip recipe in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Looking for other dips for game day? Try these!
Beer Cheese Dip
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups freshly-shredded cheese I use cheddar and gruyere
- 1 tsp grainy dijon mustard or regular Dijon
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat butter in a large saucepan or sauté pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add flour, and whisk until completely combined.
- Add in the beer, milk, Worcestershire, mustard, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Continue cooking until the mixture has thickened
- Add cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low. Taste and season the dip with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve. Serve immediately and enjoy! (Dip will thicken a bit the longer it sets.)