Hate housework? These 30 Time Saving Tips for Household Chores can help make life easier while getting your house clean!
Household Chores can seem never-ending. There’s always something to do.
Unfortunately, most of us don’t have a house helper who can vacuum the carpets, do the laundry or tidy the children’s rooms for us.
Instead, all of the responsibility to keep the home spic and span falls on our shoulders. However, doing the household chores doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom.
Check out these 30 Time Saving Tips for Household Chores that can help!
Time Saving Tips for Household Chores
Grocery Shopping Tips
- Create a shopping list before you start shopping. Use your meal planner as guidance. Also, check what you already have in your fridge, freezer and store cupboards so you don’t waste time buying unnecessary items.
- Do your grocery shopping online and get them delivered to your home if you can. This means you won’t have to spend time driving, bagging, scouring the aisles and packing up your shopping.
- If the online service offers a recurring shopping list service, using it will save you time. This is where information on your frequently purchased items and previous shopping lists are stored so that you can reuse them and adapt them as necessary.
- Don’t take on the unpacking alone. Make it a family event!
Meals Planning Tips
- Once a week, create a family meal plan. This will save you valuable time trying to come up with ideas for meals each day.
- Use convenient products like frozen, chopped vegetables or canned goods to cut down on preparation time.
- Cook items in large batches and refrigerate or freeze portions for later use.
- Buddy up on dishes. When more than one items needs to be boiled, use the same pan rather than two to cut down on dishwashing time.
- Pack snacks for weekly packed lunches like fruit and chopped veg in sealed plastic bags and store in the fridge. This will save you time having to prepare them each day.
- Cut down on the amount of laundry each week. Ask yourself what items can be worn again without causing a social faux pas.
- The quickest way to do your laundry at home is by doing it all at once. This will save you multiple sessions of loading, unloading, drying, ironing, folding and putting away. For extra ease, pick the same day to do the laundry every week.
- To avoid spending time sorting clothes into different colors before loading into the machine, have separate laundry baskets for each color. Whenever your partner or children has dirty laundry, they must put it into the appropriate hamper.
- When it comes to folding, ask everyone to leave buttons and zips done up and socks the turned the right way to save you some time.
- Ask your family to chip in with the laundry folding.
Getting Floors Clean Tips
- Use good quality vacuums, brooms, and mops to keep your floors clean. Poor models will not do a good job, and so you will spend more time trying to get a clean and tidy finish.
- Add doormats at all entrances to the house to reduce the risk of having to clean up muddy footprints.
- Create a no shoe policy in your home to keep your floors cleaner for longer.
- Spot clean dirty marks on your wooden and carpeted floors as you go and do an all over clean once every couple of weeks.
Cleaning Furniture Tips
- Cover sofas and armchairs in throws to preserve your furniture’s cleanliness for longer.
- Use the vacuum cleaner to suck up crumbs, pet hair, etc. from the hard to reach corners of sofas and armchairs.
- Keep animals off your furniture as far as possible. If they are allowed on the furniture make sure they are de-flead and de-wormed on a regular basis. You may wish to visit www.petfleas.co.uk if you need treatment for these kinds of problems. Groom your pets outside to reduce them molting on your carpets and furniture.
- Instead of spending time washing, drying and ironing your cushion covers, spot clean any marks using a micro fibre cloth and gentle detergent. Spray them with natural air freshener to leave them smelling fresh and clean.
- Cover dining tables in table clothes that can be wiped or shaken outside for an instant clean.
Kitchen Cleaning Tips
- Clean as you go. Whenever you are cooking, fill the sink up with hot, soapy water and pop in items that can be soaked while you eat. This will make washing the dishes post-dinner much easier and faster.
- Do a quick clean of the surfaces after you have finished cooking. It will only take a few minutes and will save you time having to do a thorough clean on them.
- When loading the dishwasher, group knives, forks and spoons together to save you time unloading.
- Place a couple of paper towels at the bottom of trash cans to absorb any liquid spillages.
Here’s also a few of general household time-saving habits that can help!
- Have each family member help out. Our home belongs to everyone so everyone should help out.
- Do maintenance cleaning during the week like cleaning surfaces and spot cleaning. And, pick one major chore to do each week like cleaning behind the fridge or baseboards.
- Clean out all unnecessary items. Clutter can be one of the most difficult things to deal with. Get into the habit of recycling or tossing items that your family doesn’t need or want.
Try out some of these time-saving tips in your own home. I’m sure you will be amazed at how efficient you can be when you put your mind to it. And, you can do more enjoyable things with your family on the weekends!19