This Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is cheesy, hearty, and done in minutes! It’s a cozy weeknight dinner your family will love.
I don’t know what the weather’s like in your neck of the woods, but here it’s definitely soup season. It’s chilly, it won’t stop snowing, and I really just want to stay inside and eat lots and lots of soup. And the Instant Pot? Well, it just happens to be the best way to make soup when you want to get it on the table fast!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
I love this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup because it’s a little bit different from other lasagna soup recipes I’ve had: it’s vegetarian! It swaps the ground beef for brown lentils. My kids were definitely skeptical about this, but once they gave it a try, they were believers: lentils are tasty! They have an earthy flavor and heartiness that make them a great addition to this cheesy, tomato-y Instant Pot Lasagna Soup.
I highly recommend making a batch of homemade garlic bread to serve with your lasagna soup—the two are just made for each other! Of course, a loaf of French bread will work just fine, too. As long as you have some good crusty bread to soak up all the flavorful broth, you’ll be set.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Olive oil
- Onion – Use a yellow or white onion.
- Dry brown lentils – Don’t substitute another type of lentil; they cook differently and will change the cooking time and consistency of your lasagna soup.
- Garlic powder
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable broth – If you prefer a slightly thinner soup, add another cup of broth.
- Lasagna noodles – Use the traditional kind, not the no-bake ones.
- Fresh mozzarella – You can use shredded mozzarella instead if you prefer.
- Vegetable Lasagna Soup – Add mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, or your favorite vegetables.
- Extra-Cheesy Lasagna Soup – Top each portion with a dollop of ricotta and grated Parmesan.
How to Make Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
1. Cook the Onion
Press “Sauté,” then add the olive oil and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
2. Add Remaining Ingredients
Press “Cancel” and add the rest of the ingredients, up until the fresh mozzarella.
Close and lock the lid, then place the valve in the “Sealing” position. Press “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Calculate about 15 minutes before the pressure builds. When the cooking is finished, release the pressure quickly.
Open the lid and stir. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with fresh mozzarella on top.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Lasagna Soup
This soup can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Warm it up in the microwave or in a saucepan set over medium heat.
What can I make with unused lasagna noodles?
Soup! Make this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup! It’s the best way to use those stray noodles in the box that aren’t enough to make a full lasagna, or broken noodles that you have no other use for.
Can you overlook lasagna soup in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can overcook the lentils and the pasta in Instant Pot Lasagna Soup, so be sure to follow the directions exactly.
Can I add beef to this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup?
If you prefer to use beef instead of lentils, you can brown it with the onion, then proceed with the rest of the recipe, omitting the lentils.
More of My Best Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup dry brown lentil
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 can 14oz diced tomato
- 1 can 6oz tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 lasagna pasta broken in small pieces
- fresh mozzarella for garnish
- Press "Sauté", add olive oil and brown the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Press "Cancel" and add the rest of the ingredients except the fresh mozzarella.
- Close and lock the lid, place the valve in the "Sealing" position. Press “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Calculate about 15 minutes before the pressure builds. When cooking is finished, release the pressure quickly.
- Open the lid and mix.
- Serve in a bowl and add the fresh mozzarella on top.