Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is my go-to recipe after a long, hectic day. It’s easy, needs only one dish, and pairs great with a nice glass of red wine. Full of classic flavors and tender meat, this mouthwatering beef stroganoff is the comfort food you need after a long, crazy day.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
I have been eating beef stroganoff for as long as I can remember — my grandmother made it, my mom made it, and I make it I don’t know how many times a month. And honestly, what’s not to love? This delicious comfort food feels like a warm hug after a long and stressful day of work or running around or who knows what else. Already a super easy recipe, I decided to make this classic even easier to make by adapting it for the pressure cooker.
A simple dish made from tender beef, earthy mushrooms, and egg noodles, this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe is perfect to throw together when you’re in a pinch. This traditional dish is a time-saver, makes for easy cleanup, and tastes just as good as a recipe that takes hours to make. Remember, delicious dinners don’t have to be time consuming!
Be sure to check out my Instant Pot Spaghetti if you’re into easy meals – it’s the best!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Key Ingredients
- Stew meat – If you purchase “stew meat” you will get pre-cut chunks of beef. You can also use your choice of tender, lean beef cuts that you will need to cut or thinly slice before adding to the Instant Pot.
- Wide egg noodles – I prefer wide egg noodles because they are just the right texture and width for the dish. There’s nothing like a nice, tender piece of beef surrounded by soft egg rolls on your fork!
- Mushrooms – I used cremini mushrooms in my recipe, but you can definitely use button mushrooms, as well. Notice there’s no “cream of” soup ingredients on the list — you don’t need it!
- Liquids – You will need both beef broth and Worcestershire sauce for this stroganoff recipe.
How to make Beef Stroganoff in your Instant Pot
Step 1: Sauté Onions
First, set the Instant Pot to sauté and add butter, garlic and onion. When the butter is melted, sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Cook until onions are translucent and add in mushrooms.
Step 2: Cook Broth Mixture
Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, stew meat, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot, and stir. Cover, turn the steam valve to the sealed position, and set to high-manual pressure for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Add Noodles
When the time is up, do a quick release, open the lid, and stir in the egg noodles. Replace the lid and set to high-manual pressure for an additional 5 minutes. At the end of the time, perform a quick release and remove the lid.
Step 4: Thicken with Sour Cream
Stir in sour cream and allow the mixture to thicken slightly before serving.
Step 5: Enjoy!
Serve with crusty bread topped with lots of butter.
Tips for Making the Best Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Cook with your favorite wine. Add a splash of red wine into the beef broth mixture before cooking.
- Watch the noodles. It’s important not to overcook your noodles, and egg noodles in this recipe only need about 5 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Spice it up. If you’re craving a little bit of heat in your pasta, you can add just a dash of smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne powder. Note, though, that the traditional beef stroganoff recipe does not include these spices.
What kind of meat should I use for stroganoff?
So what is “stew meat”? It’s usually cubed, cut-up pieces of beef. You can certainly buy your own cut of beef and thin slice or cube it yourself. If choosing your own beef, I would recommend getting the thinnest, lean cut you can find, like sirloin, steak tips, flank, tenderloin, or rib eye. The larger the chunks or density of the meat, the longer it will take to cook, and you want to be sure you get your meat nice and tender for this delicious pasta dish.
Here are More Delicious Beef Recipes to try!
- Crockpot Ravioli Lasagna
- Sloppy Joes
- Meatball Stroganoff
- Family Mealtime – Manwich Mondays
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 3 tbs Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 3 cups Beef broth
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs Stew meat 1" pieces
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 16 oz Wide egg noodles
- 1 cup Sour cream
- Set pressure cooker to sauté. Add butter, garlic and onion. When the butter is melted sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Cook until onions are translucent and add in mushrooms.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, stew meat, salt, and pepper. Stir mixture.
- Cover, turn the steam valve to the sealed position and set to high manual pressure for 15 minutes.
- When time is up do a quick release. Open lid and stir in egg noodles. Replace the lid and set to high manual pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, do a quick release, remove lid and stir in sour cream. The mixture will thicken slightly before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread topped with lots of butter.