This dirt cake recipe is a cinch to make and it’s always a crowd-pleaser! No one can resist the layers of Oreo crumbs and fluffy cream cheese pudding.
Dirt cake is one of those classics that never seems to get old. This easy no-bake dessert is perfect for parties, potlucks, or anytime you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing sweet treat. All you need are a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time to assemble it all.
Oh, and yes, you can definitely add gummy worms if you like!
Easy Dirt Cake Recipe
This dirt cake recipe is also known as Missouri Dirt Cake, and it layers bits of Oreos with a mixture of cream cheese, pudding mix, and Cool Whip. That’s a little different from what you’ll find in a typical dirt cup, which is made with chocolate pudding, Oreo, and, of course, gummy worms.
While dirt cups are a dessert for kids, this dirt cake is something kids and adults will enjoy. And when you make it, you’ll love how easy it is to put together—you can make it in advance and have it all ready to go!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Whole milk – You could use reduced-fat (2%) milk, but whole milk will give you the creamiest texture.
- French vanilla pudding mix
- Oreo cookies – You can use classic Oreos, or one of their many flavored varieties!
- Unsalted butter – Let this soften.
- Cream cheese – The cream cheese should also be softened to room temperature.
- Powdered sugar
- Cool Whip – Let this thaw.
How to Make Dirt Cake
1. Make the Pudding
Whisk together the milk and pudding mix in a medium bowl. Put it in the fridge so it will set.
2. Make the Oreo Crumbs
In a food processor, pulse the Oreo cookies until they form coarse cookie crumbs. Set them aside.
3. Make the Creamy Filling
Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, mix together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar on medium speed until they’re fluffy and light. Once the pudding has set, add it to the butter and cream cheese mixture. Beat until everything is combined, then fold in Cool Whip.
4. Assemble and Chill
Press a layer of cookie crumbs into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, then add a layer of the pudding mixture on top. Repeat until you reach the top of the dish or have used all the ingredients. Chill overnight before serving.
How to Store Dirt Cake
Store dirt cake wrapped in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze dirt cake for up to 2 months; let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
What is dirt cake made of?
Dirt cake is made by layering Oreos and a mixture of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and Cool Whip.
Why is it called dirt cake?
Dirt cake gets its name from the texture of the Oreo crumbs, which resembles dirt! That’s why so many people add gummy worms to complete the look!
What flavors of Oreos can I use in dirt cake?
I recommend using one with chocolate cookies; otherwise, you won’t get that visual effect of dirt! Other than that, feel free to choose any you like.
More Oreo Recipes
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 3.4oz packages of French vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pack of Oreo cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz Cool Whip thawed
- Whisk together milk and pudding mix. Transfer to the refrigerator to set.
- In a food processor, pulse the Oreo cookies until you have coarse cookie crumbs. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light, about 4-5 minutes. Once the pudding has set, beat it into the butter and cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Fold in Cool Whip.
- In a 9×13 dish, add a layer of cookie crumbs – pressed into the bottom of the dish – followed by a layer of pudding mix and repeat. Chill overnight before serving.
Can you leave out the cream cheese or maybe use less?
Can you use any pudding flavor?
YES! That would be delish!
my Family n I love this n we make this for every holidays