These banana chocolate chip muffins will be the best way to start your morning. The homemade muffins are the perfect balance of sweetness. They’re great for breakfast, an afternoon snack, and good enough for dessert.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Muffins are always a good idea. They are basically like breakfast cupcakes. Seriously, what is not to like—especially when it comes to these banana chocolate chip muffins.
The muffins are super fluffy, packed with chocolate chips, and incredibly moist, thanks to the bananas. You really can’t go wrong by starting your day with one of these muffins.
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
If you are a fan of banana bread, you’ll quickly fall in love with these muffins. Not only are they delicious, but they are also so easy to make. So easy, in fact, that you will never want to buy a storebought muffin again!
The key to these banana chocolate chip muffins is all in the bananas. You want to use bananas that are very ripe for this recipe. Try to aim for bananas that are basically brown. The browner the banana, the stronger the banana flavor will be throughout the muffins. If your bananas are not ripe enough, you’ll want to wait a few days to make the muffins. Unripe bananas don’t have a very strong flavor, meaning your muffins won’t really taste like anything.
Chocolate chips and bananas are a classic combination. The chocolate adds just enough richness to the batter giving the muffins just the right amount of sweetness. If chocolate isn’t your thing, feel free to leave them out and make pure banana muffins. However, is there anything that chocolate doesn’t make better?
Ingredients For Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Bananas – The riper the banana, the better.
- Melted butter – Make sure the butter is fully cool before adding it to the rest of the mixture.
- Eggs – Let the eggs sit out at room temperature.
- Vanilla – A small amount goes a long way.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Semi-sweet chips have a nice balance between milk and dark chocolate.
How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a large bowl, mash the bananas fully. Then add in the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients: Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix to combine. Don’t forget the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Spoon the batter into the liners and fill each one about 3/4th of the way full. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or when a cake tester comes out clean.
Don’t overmix the batter! Use a rubber spatula to mix everything together. Skip the whisk, as it will overmix the batter, resulting in tough muffins.
How To Store Leftover Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
The chocolate chip banana muffins will last about 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container. The muffins also freeze well and will last up to 3 months, so you might as well double the recipe and place half in the freezer to have unlimited muffins at your disposal!
Nothing is worse than pulling your muffins out of the oven and seeing that they fell and are very dense. Make sure to keep them light and fluffy by keeping your ingredients at room temperature before making the batter. When everything is at room temp, the batter stays smooth and traps in just the right amount of air, allowing for them to expand in the oven.
Even though these muffins are made with a fruit base, they lean more toward the sweet side than the healthy side. While they are healthier than other muffins, they are not the healthiest breakfast option.
Want to keep your muffins nice and moist? It’s all in the bananas. Go for super brown bananas for a very moist cake. The bananas take over for oil, which is typically the ingredient that makes muffins moist.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 3 ea medium ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup melted butter cooled
- 1 ea large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the banana mix and stir to combine. Be sure to not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin- about ¾ full.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.