This hearty keto breakfast casserole proves that eating healthy can still be satisfying! With sausage, spinach, eggs, and cheese, it’s a low carb breakfast that’s packed with flavor.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
If you try to eat healthy, this time of year can be a tough one. There’s Halloween in October, Thanksgiving in November, and then Christmas and the New Year. It’s easy to let the last 3 months of the year be a non-stop carb binge, but this easy keto breakfast casserole will help you keep your carb-ing in check!
Whether you’re on a strict keto eating plan or just need something to offset all the Reese’s cups you stole from your kids’ Halloween candy (hey, it happens!), this low carb keto breakfast casserole is the kind of healthy meal you’ll actually look forward to eating. Because keto means cheese, meat, and eggs!
(Don’t worry though, we’ve got some veggies in there too.)
Easy Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipe
If you loved my Keto Sausage & Egg Breakfast Bowls, or even non-keto breakfast casseroles like my Amish Breakfast Casserole or Cheesy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole With Bread, you’re going to love this recipe. Think of it as a breakfast casserole without potatoes, or a quiche without a crust! Basically, it’s got all the good stuff you want in a breakfast bake, minus the carbs.
Once you cook the sausage, spinach, onions, and garlic, you’ll layer them with a cheesy egg mixture made with heavy cream, which makes this low carb breakfast casserole extra filling. Bake until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted and you’ve got the keto breakfast casserole of your dreams! (Okay, maybe you don’t dream of keto breakfast casseroles. But trust me, you will after this!)
Although this is a keto breakfast recipe, it’s also great for brunch, lunch, or dinner if you’re looking for an easy keto meal idea. It’s also ideal for meal prep if you make the casserole ahead of time.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Pork breakfast sausage – You can substitute leftover ham if you happen to have some, or use turkey sausage.
- Onion – Yellow onion, sweet onion, or red onion all work here.
- Garlic – You can use garlic powder instead if you’d like.
- Baby spinach – Baby spinach wilts nicely and ups the veggies in this keto breakfast casserole without changing the texture. If you do want some more texture in here, you could use kale instead, or add red bell pepper.
- Eggs – Here’s the best way to crack an egg!
- Heavy cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese – You could substitute another shredded cheese if you like. A Swiss/Gruyere blend would be delicious!
- Salt & black pepper
How to Make Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Cook the Vegetables and Sausage: Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a splash of oil and cook the onions until they’re soft, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink, using a wooden spoon to break it up. Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach until it wilts. Pour the veggies and sausage into the prepared baking dish.
- Make the Egg Layer: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the heavy cream and half of the cheese. Pour this mixture into the baking dish, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake: Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, then bake for 5 minutes more. Let your keto breakfast casserole rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
How to Store Leftover Keto Breakfast Casserole
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, either in an airtight container or in the baking dish covered with plastic wrap or foil.
Reheat keto breakfast casserole in the microwave or a 350ºF oven until it’s hot all the way through before serving. You could also freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat as desired.
A typical keto breakfast might include eggs, bacon, or sausage, and a low carb vegetable like spinach or broccoli. This keto breakfast casserole has all of those things in one dish!
Some people say you can eat unlimited eggs on keto, while other sources recommend sticking with about 6 eggs per day, whether they’re all consumed at breakfast or divided throughout the day. This casserole has 10 eggs in it, so it’s a great option if you’re looking for a hearty, protein-packed meal.
Scrambled eggs are a great option for breakfast on a keto diet, provided that you make them with heavy cream. This casserole is similar to scrambled eggs, but it includes other breakfast foods with it, so you don’t have to cook everything separately.
More Easy Egg Recipes
- Eggs Florentine
- How To Make Oven-Baked Eggs
- How to Make Fried Eggs
- The Best Way to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs
Keto Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb. pork breakfast sausage
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 10 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the onions until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the sausage and continue to cook until it’s no longer pink and fully cooked, breaking it up with a spoon. Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and allow to wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer mix to the prepared baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, heavy cream, and ½ the cheese. Stir to combine and pour into the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cook for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving.