Cake Mix Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the easiest way to make coffee cake at home! Topped with a buttery brown sugar cinnamon crumble, just like the kind you buy at the bakery!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
If I could, I would just eat the cinnamon brown sugar topping on this coffee cake by itself, with a spoon. But it’s even better when it’s paired with moist sour cream cake! That combination of super soft cake and slightly crunchy streusel is a match made in heaven.
And let’s not forget the fact that this recipe is made with cake mix! I love gussying up a cake mix to make it taste homemade and I guarantee that no one will guess your shortcut when they taste this coffee cake!
Easy Cake Mix Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
With the holidays coming up—yes, it’s already that time of year!—this Yellow Cake Mix Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe is a good one to keep in your back pocket for brunches and breakfasts. It’s perfect for Christmas morning, potlucks, or informal get-togethers. Or maybe you just want to brighten a neighbor’s day by bringing over a freshly baked coffee cake! (Random acts of cake are the best acts of kindness, right?)
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
For the cake:
- Yellow cake mix – Use your favorite!
- Eggs – Take the eggs out and let them sit on the counter for a bit so they come to room temperature. This will make your cake fluffier!
- Sour cream – Let the sour cream sit for about 30 minutes at room temperature, too.
For the crumble topping:
- Brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Cake Mix Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×9 or 9×11-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Make the Crumble
Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl, then cut in the chilled butter until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Make the Cake Batter
Combine the cake mix, water, egg, sour cream, melted butter, and vanilla in a large bowl and stir until combined.
4. Assemble the Cake
Spread half of the cake batter in the bottom of the greased baking dish, then top with half of the crumble mixture. Top the crumble layer with dollops of the remaining cake batter, then spread with a greased rubber spatula. Sprinkle with remaining crumble.
5. Bake the Cake
Bake the coffee cake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Make the Optional Glaze
While the cake is baking, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the cake after it’s cooled for about 10 minutes.
Hint: You can make this recipe in cupcake tins for individual cakes if you like!
- Blueberry Coffee Cake – Fold fresh or frozen blueberries into the cake batter.
- Pecan Crumble Coffee Cake – Add chopped pecans to the crumble mixture.
- Apple Coffee Cake – Fold diced apples into the cake batter.
Is there a difference between coffee cake and crumb cake?
The two are very similar, but there’s a key difference: coffee cake is more cake, less crumble; crumb cake is more crumble, less cake.
Does coffee cake actually have coffee?
No! There’s no coffee in coffee cake. But you can definitely have a cup of coffee with it. Or maybe some Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew?
Make sure you use cold butter in the crumble. That’s how you get the crumble texture, instead of it being one thick layer of sugar and cinnamon.
If you’re looking for more…try these recipes next!
- Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
Cake Mix Sour Cream Coffee Cake
For the Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix mix only, not prepared
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×9 or 9×11 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- First, in a bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in chilled butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Next, in a large bowl combine cake mix, water, egg, sour cream, melted butter, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Spread half the cake batter in the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of the crumble mixture.
- Then, top with dollops of remaining cake batter and spread with a greased rubber spatula and gently spread the remaining batter over the crumble
- Top with remaining crumble.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze and drizzle over the cake after it’s cooled for about 10 minutes.