Silky, smooth tomato bisque hits the spot on a cold winter day. The creamy soup comes together in under an hour and is loaded with deep flavors. It will warm you up and fill you up all at the same time.
This creamy tomato soup will be just what you want when the weather starts to turn cold. This luscious soup has layers and layers of flavors. It pairs perfectly with a simple grilled cheese and is even better on its own.
WARMING TOMATO BISQUE
This tomato bisque is perfect for when you are craving a creamy bowl of soup but don’t have a lot of time on your hands. You’ll be surprised to find out that this recipe takes less than an hour to come together. The layers and layers of flavor make it seem like it has been sitting on the stove all day.
The secret to getting the deep layers of flavor in the soup is all in the pot. Since everything cooks in one pot, the ingredients build upon each other to create layers and layers of flavor. When the soup is blended together, everything comes together, creating a creamy and soothing flavor bomb.
What I love about this soup is its versatility. You can make it for lunch with a sandwich or double the recipe and fill up on it for dinner. It’s a great recipe to keep up your sleeve for that cold winter day.
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAMY TOMATO BISQUE
- Butter – cooks the garlic and makes the soup velvety.
- Whole wheat flour – allows the soup to get thick.
- Chicken broth
- Whole peeled tomatoes
- Heavy cream – adds a nice creamy texture to the soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BISQUE
1. COOK THE VEGETABLES
In a large stock pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the diced onions and garlic and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
2. ADD THE FLOUR
Add the flour into the pot and continue to stir for 2 minutes.
3. ADD THE TOMATOES
Add in the broth and tomatoes and whisk to combine. Let the ingredients simmer for about 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove the soup from the heat and blend until smooth. Blend the soup in a blender in batches or using a hand mixer directly in the pot.
5. MAKE IT CREAMY
Add the heavy cream into the soup and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
HOW TO STORE TOMATO BISQUE
The tomato bisque will last about a week in the fridge. Store the soup in an airtight container. The soup can be warmed up on the stove or in the microwave in a bowl.
The soup also will freeze. Simply cook the soup and let it cool before putting it in an airtight container. Let the soup thaw and warm up in a pan before enjoying. The soup will last about 2-3 months in the freezer.
Tomato soup is full of vitamins and antioxidants. The soup isn’t the healthier due to the heavy cream.
A sandwich or salad is a great option to serve with tomato soup. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a classic combo. Other sandwiches like ham and cheese sliders will be a great addition to this soup.
Yes! If you are looking to lighten up this soup or go the dairy-free route, you can sub out the heavy cream for coconut milk. It will still give the soup a creamy texture and keep it light at the same time.
MORE SOUPS TO MAKE ON A COLD DAY
Tomato Bisque Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 5 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 – 6 minutes, or until it starts the onions get soft.
- Add the flour and stir nonstop for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Whisk constantly.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree the soup either in a blender (in batches) or with a handheld immersion blender until it's smooth and the big chunks of tomatoes are blended up.
- Stir in heavy cream and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with any herbs you'd like to add – fresh basil or rosemary are good choices. Top with bacon, croutons, or plain!