Stromboli is a little bit like pizza and a little bit like a calzone — which means you know everyone in the family will devour it! My easy stromboli recipe calls for only four ingredients, so it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
If you’re looking for a fun spin on pizza night, this homemade stromboli recipe is the best! It’s not only perfect for a weeknight dinner, but it’s great for game day, or the next day, too! Leftover stromboli is one of our favorites!
Stromboli vs. Calzone: What’s the Difference?
If you think stromboli is just a big ol’ calzone, you’re mistaken! There are a lot of differences between the two:
- Stromboli is rolled up in a spiral, so there’s dough in the center too. A calzone is just folded in half.
- Calzones are made to serve one, while stromboli will feed the whole dang family!
- Stromboli is from Philadelphia! Yep, believe it or not, stromboli isn’t Italian at all. Calzones, on the other hand, are the real deal and come straight from Italy.
- Calzones usually have ricotta inside, among other fillings. And they never have tomato sauce inside. Stromboli isn’t made with ricotta, but it can have tomato sauce in the filling.
The two do have one important thing in common, though: they’re both delicious!
Easy Stromboli Recipe
Consider this recipe your template. You can make it as-is, or you can add any of your favorite pizza toppings. Stromboli is usually pretty heavy in the meat department; I like to use pepperoni or even salami because it’s easy to roll up into the dough, but crumbled sausage will work too. If you want to add some veggies, smaller pieces work best—think diced onions instead of sliced, or spinach sautéed with garlic.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Store-bought pizza dough – I use the refrigerated Pillsbury kind that comes in a tube.
- Pepperoni – Or salami!
- Pizza sauce – Any kind you like is fine.
- Mozzarella cheese – You can also add some parmesan, use an Italian blend, or swap in provolone.
Variations For Stromboli
While this recipe takes basic ingredients, you can easily change it up. Add your favorite Italian meats, or use some Italian bread dough as well. This easy recipe is great with marinara sauce as well. I also love to spread some garlic butter on top to bake it to golden perfection.
If you’re a fan of dips, my kids love to dip this in BBQ sauce or even extra pizza sauce. I promise you that this family favorite is a new recipe that you can make in so many different ways.
How to Make Stromboli
- Prepare: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Top the Dough: Open the tube of dough and unroll it onto a lightly floured surface. Use your fingers to press it into a large rectangle. Spoon the pizza sauce onto the dough and spread it evenly, leaving a margin on all sides. Top the sauce with the meat and the cheese.
- Roll: Roll the dough tightly and press to seal it. Carefully lift it and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve: Let the stromboli cool a bit, then use a sharp knife to cut it into slices. Serve with additional sauce, if desired.
Stromboli is usually filled with thinly sliced meats (basically, Italian cold cuts like salami and pepperoni) and cheese, but it’s versatile enough that you can really do just about anything with it! Some recipes have sauce inside, while others serve the sauce on the side.
Yes! Stromboli can be frozen. I recommend freezing it before you bake it for the best results—just wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, then a layer of foil. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then bake it according to the recipe instructions.
I like to serve this stromboli recipe with a salad. My easy pasta salad or kale salad are both good choices, but so is a classic Caesar salad!
You can add this great meal to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. One of the best things about this recipe is that it makes quite a large portion.
More Kid-Friendly Dinners
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
Instant Pot Spaghetti
Pulled Pork Tacos
Spicy Chicken Quesadillas
- 1 store bought pizza dough – I use pillsbury
- 1 package pepperoni saleme, or your favorite pizza topping meat
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Spread pizza sauce on a store bought pizza crust – top with meat and mozzarella cheese.
- Roll up and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven allow to cool slightly.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!