This one-bowl banana bread recipe is the easiest banana bread you will ever make! It’s rich with brown sugar, warm cinnamon, and lots of sweet, ripe bananas.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
I have always loved making banana bread, but one thing I definitely don’t love is doing the dishes after a big baking project. The fact that you can create perfect banana bread just using one bowl is totally amazing. Fewer bowls equal less mess!
But don’t worry, this banana bread is still just as delicious as any banana bread you have ever made before, maybe even better. Moist, flavorful, and absolutely delectable.
One-Bowl Banana Bread Recipe
My one-bowl banana bread recipe takes only about 10 minutes to put together. The recipe begins by mashing overripe bananas with a fork. I like to mash the bananas until they are as smooth as possible. A few larger banana pieces are fine, but the smoother the mash, the more even the banana flavor will be throughout the bread. Try using a potato masher which will smush the bananas really well.
Once the bananas are mashed, butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla are mixed in. The dry ingredients are poured in next and the batter is stirred until thick, then it is ready to pour into the loaf pan and bake! Sounds pretty easy, right? Well, it is! One-bowl banana bread is so quick and so tasty that it will easily become a recipe you make all the time. So, time to preheat that oven, get out one large mixing bowl, and get ready to bake!
Ingredients for One-Bowl Banana Bread
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Bananas – The riper the bananas, the better! Over-ripe bananas are naturally sweeter and have more flavor. You actually want the bananas that are covered in brown spots!
- Butter – I use unsalted butter to make this banana bread recipe.
- Brown sugar – I like to use dark brown sugar which has a rich molasses taste and will keep the bread really moist.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour is best for one-bowl banana bread.
- Stir ½ cup of chocolate chips into the batter before pouring it into the loaf pan to make an amazing chocolate chip banana bread.
- Replace the flour with a gluten-free all-purpose flour mix to make easy gluten-free banana bread.
- Scoop the batter into paper-lined muffin cups to make banana bread muffins. Fill each paper liner about ¾ of the way to the top and bake the muffins for about 24 minutes.
How to Make One Bowl Banana Bread
- Prep your tools: Preheat your oven to 350ºF and then grease a 9×4 inch loaf pan.
- Mix the wet ingredients: Place the ripe bananas in a large mixing bowl and smash them with a fork or potato masher until smooth. Stir in the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients: Add the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda to the mixing bowl and stir. The batter will be thick and smooth.
- Bake the banana bread: Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes. The banana bread will be golden brown on the top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread will come out cleanly.
- Cool: Let the bread cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then flip it out onto a cutting board, slice and serve while warm!
If you have a lot of ripe bananas, double or even triple this recipe. It works well in large batches! You can always freeze extra loaves of banana bread for up to three months. Thaw the frozen banana bread at temperature for about 2-3 hours and you will have a perfect breakfast treat, ready to go!
How to Store Banana Bread
Once your bread is baked and cooled, you can wrap any leftovers in plastic wrap and store them at room temperature for about 2-3 days. The texture of the bread is best when kept at room temp. However, you can also store the tightly wrapped banana bread in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat your banana bread slices in the toaster oven to make them fresh and warm!
Bananas are high in fiber and potassium. They also have a wide range of other vitamins and minerals that may be beneficial to your health. Normal, white bread is lacking in a lot of these nutrients so banana bread is the better choice!
Banana bread is a great breakfast or snack, especially homemade bread which is free from additives and preservatives. It is always good to eat any kind of food in moderation and have a well-balanced diet. However, eating one slice of banana bread a day should be just fine!
Banana bread is delicious plain but it also tastes good with melted butter, peanut butter, jelly or a drizzle of honey. You can even use banana bread as the base of an ice cream sundae! Warm up your banana bread slice for a perfect, easy treat.
One Bowl Banana Bread
- 3 overripe bananas
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Try to smash all the large banana pieces, making it as smooth as possible.3 overripe bananas
- Stir in the melted butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix until the batter is thick and smooth.⅓ cup melted butter, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 egg, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda to the bowl and mix again.¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 ½ cups flour, 1 teaspon baking soda
- Pour the banana bread into the prepared loaf pan then bake the banana bread for about 50 minutes. The top of the bread will be golden brown and the bread will be pulling away from the sides of the pan slightly. A toothpick inserted into the center of the bread will come out cleanly.
- Cool the bread in the pan and then slice and enjoy!
- Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips before baking to make a delicious chocolate chip banana bread.
- 3 ripe bananas will make about 1 ½ cups of mashed bananas. If your bananas are very small, you may need an extra to get the 1 ½ cups of banana mash needed for the bread.