Decadent chocolate pound cake is perfect for any occasion—and it’s easy too! This chocolate cake is big enough to serve 12 so everyone will get a slice.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
There are all different types of chocolate cake in this world. Light and fluffy cakes like Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, rich cakes like my Homemade Chocolate Cake, and then there are dense cakes like this chocolate pound cake.
I can guarantee that everyone you know will want a big piece of this chocolate pound cake. It is so moist and tender, and it has a strong chocolate taste that is irresistible. The best part is that this chocolate pound cake recipe is really easy to make. Homemade chocolate cake has never been easier! You will have the cake batter made and in the oven in less than 15 minutes.
Classic Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
My chocolate pound cake recipe is made with simple ingredients that you likely have at home already. You may be wondering about the brewed coffee that is added to the batter. Coffee actually enhances the chocolate flavor. It helps make the cake taste extra chocolatey! And isn’t that what you want in a chocolate pound cake? Extra chocolate flavor sounds good to me!
I like to keep my chocolate pound cake simple and slice it up right after it bakes. You can dust it with a little powdered sugar as a pretty garnish or drizzle the cake with some cream cheese frosting. Go crazy with your decorations or just enjoy the pretty shape and texture of the bundt pan.
Serve this chocolate pound cake as a dessert or as a special occasion breakfast. It is always a good time for chocolate pound cake if you ask me! And with this easy recipe, you can whip it up anytime you’d like.
Grab My Favorite Tools
Click on the products below to see my favorite tools for making this recipe!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Butter – Make sure the butter is at room temperature and soft. It will blend into the batter better when warm.
- Brown sugar – I like to use dark brown sugar for this chocolate pound cake recipe to make it more decadent, but light brown sugar will also work well.
- Vanilla extract
- Brewed coffee– If you are planning to make a chocolate pound cake, brew some extra coffee in the morning and save it for your baking project. Regular coffee will do but you can also use decaf. You really just want that coffee taste, not necessarily the caffeine.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk gives the chocolate pound cake a subtle, tangy taste that goes well with the intense chocolate flavor.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder is my favorite brand. It has a strong chocolate flavor that really shines in this pound cake.
- Baking powder
- Replace brewed coffee with two tablespoons of brewed espresso.
- Mix one cup of whole milk with one tablespoon of white vinegar to replace the buttermilk. This creates a homemade buttermilk that will look thick and chunky when mixed together but gives the cake a great flavor.
- Replace the flour with your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. This simple substitution will help you make a perfect gluten-free pound cake.
How to Make Chocolate Pound Cake
- Prep your equipment: Preheat the oven to 325ºF and grease and flour a 10” bundt pan. You want to first spray the pan with baking spray and then toss some flour in the pan, tapping out any extra flour so there is just a thin layer coating the inside of the pan. This step helps the chocolate pound cake pop out of the pan easily once baked.
- Cream the butter and sugar: Beat the butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times to blend all the butter and sugar together evenly.
- Add the eggs: Add the eggs to the bowl one at a time. You want to add the eggs slowly, mixing after you add each egg, to ensure they blend in well. Add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In another small bowl or large measuring cup, mix the brewed coffee and buttermilk.
- Alternate the dry and wet ingredients: Add about ⅓ of the flour mixture to the bowl with the butter and eggs. Mix until combined and then add about ½ of the coffee mixture. Mix again and then repeat this step until all the flour and all the coffee are added to the main mixing bowl. Alternating the dry and wet ingredients like this helps the batter stay smooth and prevents it from separating.
- Bake the pound cake: Pour the chocolate pound cake into the prepared bundt pan and then bake for about 60 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of the cake; it should come out clean and dry once the pound cake is finished baking.
- Cool the cake: Let the chocolate bundt cake cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before flipping it over and serving. If you try to remove the cake from the pan too early, it may break. Waiting for the bundt cake to cool will really help it unmold perfectly!
You can also bake this chocolate pound cake in loaf pans. This recipe will make two 8″ loaves. Follow the recipe exactly, but divide the batter into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake the pound cake loaves for 45 minutes and then use a toothpick to check if they are fully baked.
How to Store Chocolate Pound Cake
Once your chocolate pound cake is baked and cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for 2-3 days. The cake will have the best texture when kept at room temperature.
You can also keep the bundt cake in the fridge for up to a week when wrapped tightly. My chocolate bundt cake can even be frozen for up to three months. Just let the cake thaw on the counter for 4-5 hours and then it will be ready to eat!
To make a good pound cake, all of your ingredients should be at room temperature. This will help make a smooth, thick batter that bakes into a perfectly textured, dense cake. Adding buttermilk to the pound cake is also important. The tangy taste of the buttermilk balances the sweetness of the pound cake and gives it an incredible flavor.
Pound cakes tend to be more dense and heavy than regular cakes. Originally, pound cakes were made with a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, and a pound of flour. These ratios may vary slightly but all that sweetness and rich butter are still in this chocolate pound cake recipe.
It is better to bake pound cake at 325. Pound cakes need to bake slowly due to their high fat content. Baking pound cake at 325 for a longer period of time will give it the best texture.
More Recipes for Chocolate Lovers
Chocolate Pound Cake
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F then grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar together in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until the mix is very light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter mix, adding them one at a time and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. You want to be sure all the eggs and butter are blended together evenly.
- Add the vanilla to the bowl and mix again.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the buttermilk and brewed coffee.
- Add about ⅓ of the flour mix to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix it into the egg and butter. Then, add about ½ of the buttermilk mix and mix again. Continue to alternate between adding the dries and the wet ingredients to the bowl until everything is combined and the chocolate batter is nice and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan then bake the cake for 60 minutes. Check to make sure the cake is fully baked by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake. It should have no sticky batter on it when it comes out.
- Let the pound cake cool in the cake pan for at least 30 minutes. Then, flip the cake out of the pan and on to a plate. Slice and enjoy!
Each one is looking for to buy it from me I am selling it so delicious try it out i bet you i can make more different kinds of them
I made so many of them now people want more and I am selling it for occasions All of my family members and friends are liking it