Blueberry Buckle is an old-fashioned sweet coffee cake with fresh blueberries and topped with a buttery sugar-cinnamon streusel topping. This classic recipe will take you back to grandmas’s kitchen table with the first bite!
This thick, cakey and oh-so sweet Blueberry Buckle is the reason I’m smiling today!
Blueberry buckle is a classic dessert that’s been around since colonial times. It’s not hard to see why it’s lasted for so long – it’s downright delicious! It’s perfect for the 4th of July, backyard barbecues, and every other summertime activity.
EASY BLUEBERRY BUCKLE RECIPE
No dessert really brings me back to grandma’s house more than this blueberry buckle dessert. Every time I make it, I feel like I’m a kid again, happy that the whole house smells like freshly baked blueberry cake.
This is a recipe that’s been in my family for years and years, and I’m so excited to share it with you! If you’ve never had a slice of blueberry buckle, you’re in for such a treat. It’s a dense, sweet cake made with fresh blueberries and topped with a buttery sugar cinnamon topping.
This is a tried and true blueberry cake that will be passed down for generations to come. Make this show stopping cake today!
For the delicious blueberry buckle cake, you’ll need:
- White Sugar
- Butter – For best results, use room temperature unsalted butter.
- Egg – Since the eggs needs to be creamed with the butter, it’s best that the egg is room temperature as well.
- Flour – Bleached all-purpose flour works best for this buckle recipe.
- Baking Powder – This is an essential ingredient because it provides the cake some fluffiness, so it’s not too thick.
- Salt – Be very, very careful when adding this small pinch of salt! Just a little bit is enough to help the other flavors stand out.
- Milk – Plain dairy whole milk is the best option for this recipe.
- Blueberries – USE FRESH BERRIES! This summertime cake is best when it’s made with fresh, ripe, juicy blueberries.
For the crumble topping, you’ll need:
- Butter – Again, unsalted room temperature butter works best.
- Brown Sugar – Did you know you can easily make your own brown sugar by combining 1 tablespoon of molasses with 1 cup of white sugar?
- White Sugar
- Cinnamon – For an extra hint of cinnamon, just a full teaspoon instead of of just half.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BLUEBERRY BUCKLE CAKE RECIPE
STEP 1. PREPARE
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8 dish with cooking spray or butter.
STEP 2. CREAM
In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, and egg with a hand mixture until it’s nice and fluffy.
STEP 3. COMBINE THE DRY INGREDIENTS
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
STEP 4. CREATE THE BATTER
Combine the fluffy butter mixture and the whisked dry mixture. When combining, alternate with milk, mixing just until combined.
STEP 5. ADD THE BERRIES
Toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour. Then, fold them into the batter and spread the batter into the prepared pan.
STEP 6. MAKE THE TOPPING
Combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl, and mix them together until you have a crumbly topping. Then, sprinkle the crumbs over the batter.
STEP 7. BAKE
Bake the blueberry buckle for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle of the cake and comes out clean.
Why is it called a buckle?
While it may seem like a random title for a cake, the word buckle actually refers to how the cake bakes!
As the cake starts to rise over time in the oven, the crumb topping and heavy amount of berries weigh it down, causing it to buckle in place and not rise as much as other cakes do.
How long will this blueberry buckle cake stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, this delicious blueberry cake will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
To elongate that time, keep the cake in the same airtight container, but place it in the fridge! In the fridge, the buckle will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
How should I serve this blueberry buckle?
Let the cake fully cool before slicing and serving it!
Once it’s room temperature, serve it just as it is, or with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream.
HAVE ANY EXTRA BLUEBERRIES AFTER MAKING THIS BUCKLE CAKE? USE THEM IN THESE OTHER DELICIOUS, FRESH RECIPES!
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8×8 dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar, butter, & egg with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together.
- Add a small amount to the sugar mixture, alternating with milk mixing just until combined.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour. Gently fold into the batter.
- Carefully spread in the prepared pan.
- Make the topping by combining the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Cut together with two forks or a pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle over batter and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.