When my 5-year old gets home each day from Kindergarten, she is starving. She comes straight in and grabs a snack from the pantry when she gets off the bus. As a mom, I want her to fill her belly with healthy, yet delicious food that gives her that good kind of energy and not just a sugar, carb high. So, I created these Trail Mix cookies full of good for you ingredients that will not only fill her up while waiting on dinner time, but will also give her lots of energy to make it though the rest of the day.
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup applesauce OR 1/2 butter flavored shortening
* 1 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1/2 cup white sugar OR can omit
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (can use 1 1/2 cups all purpose and omit whole wheat flour)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved into 2 tbs of warm water
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups rolled oats
* 1 cup raisins
* 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup coconut
* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
* 1/2 cup M&Ms candy
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce OR butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Add baking soda mixture and stir until combined. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, almonds, coconut and M&M’s and raisins. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Use a fork to flatten slightly.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely on wire wrack. Store in airtight container.
You can get creative with all kinds of mix-ins – dried cranberries, orange rind, cashews, etc… You could even get really crazy and throw in some flax-seed meal or wheat germ. I love sneaking in healthy stuff where you don’t expect or TASTE it! The possibilities are endless!