This post was originally published last year for Valentine’s Day – but is worth posting again. These Red Velvet Cupcakes are THAT GOOD! Make some for your sweetheart. Or your kids. Or your mailman. Or just yourself! You will be sooo glad you did!
I don’t like to brag…but I have been told that I make the BEST Red Velvet Cupcakes. EVER.
Until now, I’ve kept this recipe under lock and key in a vault in a secret location (Well, not really. But, it sounds so good!) and TODAY I am going to share this baby with you so that you can make the VERY BEST Red Velvet Cupcakes EVER for your Valentine’s Day sweetie!
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes. So, a great idea would be to package up half of them and give them to a friend, a neighbor or someone who needs a little cheering up!
You can order boxes like these online or pick up some cupcake boxes at Michaels or any other craft store.
I like to make the box look extra special by adding a little ribbon and a sticker to the top of the box. Presentation is everything!
You’re gonna love this recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs Cocoa Powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp red gel food coloring – you can add more for a deeper red color
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together cake flour, cocoa and salt.
- With an electric mixer, combine sugar and oil until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time just until combined.
- Mix in vanilla and red food gel slowly.
- Alternate flour and buttermilk in three batches – mixing well between each addition.
- Stir together the vinegar and baking soda in a separate bowl and add to batter. Mix until combined.
- By using a ice cream scoop or a spoon, evenly add batter to the muffin tins.
- Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Rotate tin halfway through.
- Cool on wire racks before removing from pan.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes with my Cream Cheese Frosting
Decorate the top of your cupcake with a little fondant flower or heart, red velvet crumbles or just leave plain. They are yummy either way!
Eat right away or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days in an air tight container.