We love oatmeal in our house. My kids love it and the daycare kids gobble it up whenever it’s placed in front of them, as well. We like to mix it up and add different flavors and mix-ins such as walnuts, raisins and cranberries so I knew we’d like this recipe for Oatmeal Breakfast Squares.
These heart-healthy squares are a nice change to the everyday bowl of oatmeal. Make them the night before and have it for breakfast topped with yogurt, cut up into squares to add to lunch boxes or even a before bedtime snack. Oatmeal Breakfast Squares stick with you and keep you full for a while!
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts (if desired)
2 tsps baking powder
3 tsps cinnamon
1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk
3 tbs honey
3/4 cup apple sauce
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tbs vanilla extract
2 tbs brown sugar
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Combine oats, raisins, cranberries, baking soda and 2 tsps of cinnamon in a large bowl.
* In another bowl, mix together wet ingredients until well combined.
* Add the liquid to dry ingredients and stir throughly.
* Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled 8″ baking dish.
* Mix together the brown sugar and remaining cinnamon – sprinkle over the top of the oat mixture.
* Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
* Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Top with yogurt for a nice treat or eat alone.