This post brought to you by Malaysia Kitchen for the World. The content and opinions expressed below are that of https://www.allthingsmamma.com/.
I’m always up for trying new recipes and foods. We tend to get stuck in food ruts from time to time so it’s always good to try out new things. That’s a another good thing about blogs and the internet – lots of good recipes to try! So, I went out on a limb and decided to try a Malaysian recipe. Definitely something new and different to me and you know what? I loved it! Malaysian cuisine likes to combine complex flavors like curry, turmeric, cardamom, lemongrass, ginger and tamarind (to name a few) to create dishes that have multiple layers of flavors. That’s a lot of flavors that I don’t normally have in my cabinet. Thankfully, I was able to pick up what I needed at my local grocery store for this Coconut Milk Shrimp Soup!
This soup is not one I’d normally make – but I really enjoyed it! It was very fresh and light. The flavors of the lemongrass, lime and cilantro are a nice combination! I would love to to have this soup even in the Summer as a starter with grilled chicken and vegetables!
Malaysia Kitchen for the World is a national initiative of the Malaysian Government that aims to educate and inform consumers about Malaysian cuisine and Malaysian restaurants worldwide. Malaysia is located in the South China Sea and their cuisine is a fascinating blend of Malay, Chinese, and Indian food traditions, with Indonesian, Thai, Portuguese and Middle Eastern influences. I think that’s why their cuisine is so delicious – it’s a blend of several types of food.
One of the ways I made this recipe a little easier, is by using Malaysian Kitchen’s Lemongrass Coconut Curry Sauce. Just add it in for a ton of flavor and ease! It’s also budget friendly since you can use one product to replace several!
This Malaysian Coconut Milk Shrimp Soup reminded me of my favorite soup at an Asian restaurant we go to. The same concept – but it doesn’t use coconut milk. It’s broth based. Both delicious and very different than the meals we normally make.
Try out this Malaysian dish for yourself and see what you think! Add in other seafood if you have it available. I bet it will be great! The tastes of Malaysian cuisine have been rated the number three top-trending flavors by the National Restaurant Association!
Malaysian Coconut Milk Shrimp Soup
- 2 14 oz cans coconut milk
- 3 stalks of fresh lemongrass bottom part only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 shallots sliced
- 3 to 5 fresh red or green Bird’s-Eye chiles to taste, sliced lengthwise
- 8 oz large shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or more to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 scallions both white and green parts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- Bring the coconut milk and 1/2 cup water just to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the lime leaves, lemongrass, shallots, and chiles, lower the heat, and cook for 20 minutes to release the aromatic oils, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp without stirring. Cover the soup and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the fish sauce, cilantro, and scallions and remove the soup from heat. Stir in the lime juice. Ladle your coconut milk seafood soup into individual bowls and serve immediately.
- Cook’s Tip: You may strain the coconut milk to remove the aromatics before adding the seafood. However, when these ingredients are cut very thinly, I enjoy eating them as part of this coconut milk seafood soup recipe.
- - See more at: http://www.malaysiakitchen.us/recipes/coconut-milk-seafood-soup/#sthash.6o9gY8b5.dpuf