There isn’t anything more decadent than a New York Style Cheesecake. When made correctly, it’s dense and smooth, rich and creamy with a graham cracker crust that isn’t too sweet. It’s one of my favorite desserts. My husband loves it even more than I do. It’s always his dessert of choice when we splurge at a restaurant. He also likes it plain. Brian always wants me to make cheesecake at home, but I’ve always been afraid of messing it up. I have no idea why! It’s not like the queen is coming over for dessert. It’s just my family, so why not give it a shot! But, I think when you browse through the cheesecake recipes, it looks super intimidating. But I’m here to tell you, it is NOT hard! I made this beautiful, easy cheesecake recipe that turned out perfectly with little effort or time!
Making this New York Style Cheesecake is a breeze! And I’m pretty sure it’s about as close as you can get to The Cheesecake Factory at home! I use store bought graham cracker crumbs but you could use graham crackers and crush them up in a food processor. Either way is fine! Make sure when you press into your springform pan (a must for cheesecake!) that you bring the crumbs halfway up the side of the pan. It makes the slices so pretty!
Also it’s important to use room temperature ingredients when you are mixing up your filling. I really believe this helps the texture of the cheesecake to turn out perfectly. I also love the sour cream topping but you could easily leave it off and have it plain or add on your favorite toppings – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or even chocolate! YUM!
Making the perfect New York Style Cheesecake is easier than you think! Give it a try! You’ll even impress the kids!
Easy New York Style CheesecakePrint Pin Rate
- 2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 5 tbsp. butter melted
- 2 lbs. or 4 8 oz. blocks plain cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ c. granulated sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- ? c. sour cream room temperature
- ? c. heavy whipping cream room temperature
- Sour cream topping:
- 1½ c. sour cream
- ¼ c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. good vanilla
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Cover the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with extra large aluminum foil so that the no water can't leak in.
- Crimp the top of the foil around the top edge of the springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt. Pour in the melted butter and mix until the crumbs become coated.
- Place crumbs into pan and work up the sides of the pan so that they are 1½" tall and approximately ¼" thick.
- Place into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- Beat the cream cheese, salt and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer for approximately 4 minutes or until smooth and creamy. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the sugar, then turn back up to high and beat for an additional minute.
- With mixing speed on low, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add the sour cream and heavy cream, beat on high for 1 minute.
- Place the prepared springform pan into a large high-sided roasting pan. Pour the cream cheese filling into the springform pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula.
- Pour boiling water around the springform pan, taking care not to get any on the filling. You'll want the water to go halfway up the side of the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- After the the cheesecake has baked, turn off the oven, slightly crack the door open and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove the cheesecake from the bath, dry the bottom and cover with foil.
- Prepare the topping by combining all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stirring together until smooth. Using a spatula, spread over the top of the cooled cheesecake
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours before serving - overnight is best
- Remove the springform pan and place on cake plate before serving. Use a sharp knife, dipped in water to make nice clean cuts.