These sweet Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats are part craft, part yummy Easter treat! Get the kids involved to make these cute and fun cookie-candy bites.
Take everything you love about Rice Krispies treats, stuff them with pastel M&Ms, and tuck them into plastic eggs for an unexpected Easter surprise! I love making these little egg-shaped goodies every year to celebrate springtime.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats Recipe
Easter is such a lovely holiday. We’re well into springtime and flowers and fruit trees are starting to blossom. It’s a wonderful time to gather together to celebrate the change of the seasons and indulge in some tasty treats. And if they’re egg-shaped, all the better!
Marshmallows melted with butter create the ooiest, gooiest coating for crispy Rice Krispies cereal. I think you’ll have a hard time finding someone who doesn’t like a Rice Krispies treat! There’s a reason they’re a beloved classic – they’re sweet, sticky, and make for a perfect snack. I dress the familiar treat up for Easter by adding M&M candies which add a delicious hit of chocolate and crunch.
In this recipe you’ll stuff the Rice Krispies and marshmallow mixture into large plastic eggs that you can snap shut – it’s an extra treat to surprise your kids or friends with the unexpected filling. But you can also simply use your hands to shape eggs, fill them with M&Ms, and serve them on a pretty platter. Make sure to open the eggs slightly so that the M&Ms peek out – everyone will really love these!
Ingredients for Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Butter – You can use margarine instead of butter.
- Marshmallows – You can substitute mini marshmallows for the regular marshmallows. Make sure to use the same total amount of marshmallows (check the recipe card below for the measurements).
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- M&M’s – I like to use the pastel variety found at Easter time but you can use any color of M&M’s.
- Plastic Easter Eggs – Use snap-apart, 3×2 plastic Easter eggs.
How to Make Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats
- Melt the butter. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir in the Rice Krispies and use a rubber spatula to fully incorporate the cereal. You want the cereal to be well coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Measure out the Rice Krispies mix. Coat a ⅓-cup measuring cup with cooking spray and scoop out portions of the warm cereal-marshmallow mixture. Divide it into portions, then, using buttered hands, shape each portion into an egg shape. Divide the eggs in half and place each piece in the plastic eggs.
- Cool and decorate. Cool the cereal mixture, then fill it with the M&M candies and place the egg halves together.
Using buttered or oiled hands is key here, because the marshmallow mixture is very sticky! Save yourself some frustration by first well-greasing your hands before scooping out the Rice Krispies treats.
How to Store Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats
The Rice Krispies treats are best eaten on the day that they are made, but you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you need to stack them, place waxed paper in between the eggs in the container so that they don’t stick together.
Rice Krispies really are the best cereal to use when making Rice Krispies treats! But you could mix things up by trying other cereals like Chex, Cheerios, Fruity Pebbles, or Fruit Loops.
To make perfect, non-soggy Rice Krispies treats, you’ll need the right ratio butter to marshmallow to rice cereal. Adding too much marshmallow and butter can make a super sticky, wet or soggy slice, while too little makes a hard, dry or crumbly one.
Rice krispie cereal treats are best the day you make them. However, they will keep for no more than 3 days wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Egg Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup M&M’s Chocolate Candies
- 12 plastic snap-apart 3×2 Easter eggs
- In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using a ⅓-cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray, divide warm cereal mixture into portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into egg shape. Then divide in half and place each half into a plastic egg.
- Cool the cereal mixture in the eggs. Then add a few M&Ms per egg and snap the eggs shut. candies.