As I was thinking about what to make for Father’s Day breakfast yesterday, I remembered that I had picked up some poppy seeds at Target on clearance a few weeks ago and was just dying to make some of these muffins. So, I whipped out my mixer and my cupcake pan and got to work.
Perfect for breakfast, a snack or to warm up with a little milk for a bedtime snack. They are also kid-tested and approved! These sweet, moist treats will have you asking for another!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup melted & cooled butter
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray a regular-size muffin pan or use paper muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with a fork until the sugar is moist. Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the sour cream, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently but quickly stir to blend. A few lumps are normal – DO NOT overmix. Stir in the poppy seeds. Divide the batter evenly among the muffins cups using a scoop for even muffins.
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin.
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbs milk (or more depending on desired consistency)
1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
1. Mix all ingredients together in bowl until smooth.
2. Dip tops of cooled muffins into glaze or drizzle over muffins.