It seems that everyone’s making their own laundry soap these days but I haven’t jumped on that bandwagon…until now!
I’ve always been a Tide Free girl. I love that it doesn’t have a scent and gets my clothes clean every time. But, I was curious to try one of the homemade laundry soaps. I searched through blog post after blog post looking for a recipe that I’d like to try that I thought would work well, but I could never find one I was happy with. And then I found one! YAY!
This recipe contains the usual ingredients you find in most recipes – Borax, Washing Soda and Fels Naptha bar soap AND it contains Baking Soda and Oxi Clean! There’s many that believe adding baking soda really doesn’t make a difference, but I love cleaning and deodorizing with it, so why not add it to my wash?! It can’t hurt and it’s cheap! The next ingredient, Oxi Clean, is to freshen AND bleach colors and whites. Before, I was afraid we’d be walking around with dingy clothes, but once I knew that this could be added into the mix, I thought it was worth a shot. PLUS it’s super safe for your skin.
We’ve been using this soap on everything and I’m super pleased! It seems to work just as well as our regular laundry soap and it’s much cheaper! And this makes a large batch that lasts a long time. I just use one scoop (that came in Oxi Clean jar) for a normal load and two for an extra dirty or heavy load – such as towels. I also add vinegar to my rinse – which I’ve done for a long time. It doesn’t leave a smell and it takes the place of fabric softener. If you like a scent on your clothes – this won’t do it. So, you can add something like Purex Crystals or Downy Unstoppables to your mix. I don’t like those – so I don’t add them. Plus, that would add unwanted chemicals to the mix. However, I DO add essential oils to my individual loads. I add in 6-8 drops of my favorite scents – lavender, lemon and orange are my favs! Try out this DIY All Natural Laundry Soap – it will save you time and money!
DIY Laundry Soap
- 1 box of Borax
- 1 box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
- 1 large box of Baking Soda
- 2 jars of Oxi Clean
- 2 bars of Fels Naptha soap only one shown in picture
- 30-40 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- Using a food processor or a hand cheese grater, grate the bars of soap
- Next mix ALL ingredients in a large bucket
- Then, place in a cute container of your choice!
- Use 1 scoop for a normal load or 2 scoops for a large load
- Use vinegar in place of fabric softener
- This recipe is safe for hE machines - just place the scoop in the drum of the machine BEFORE adding clothes. (as always tho, consult your machine manual)
We’re loving this stuff so far! You won’t be disappointed!