I don’t like to brag…but I have been told that I make the BEST Red Velvet Cupcakes. EVER.
Until now, I’ve kept this recipe under lock and key in a vault in a secret location (Well, not really. But, it sounds so good!) and TODAY I am going to share it with you so that you can make the VERY BEST Red Velvet Cupcakes EVER for your Valentine’s Day sweetie!
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes. So, a great idea would be to package up half of them and give them to a friend, a neighbor or someone who needs a little cheering up!
You can order boxes like these online or pick up some cupcake boxes at Michaels or any other craft store.
I like to make the box look extra special by adding a little ribbon and a sticker to the top of the box. Presentation is everything!
You’re gonna love this recipe!
- 2½ cups cake flour sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs Cocoa Powder
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp red gel food coloring – you can add more for a deeper red color
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together cake flour, cocoa and salt.
- With an electric mixer, combine sugar and oil until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time just until combined.
- Mix in vanilla and red food gel slowly.
- Alternate flour and buttermilk in three batches – mixing well between each addition.
- Stir together the vinegar and baking soda in a separate bowl and add to batter. Mix until combined.
- By using a ice cream scoop or a spoon, evenly add batter to the muffin tins.
- Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Rotate tin halfway through.
- Cool on wire racks before removing from pan.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes with my Cream Cheese Frosting
- Decorate the top of your cupcake with a little fondant flower or heart, red velvet crumbles or just leave plain. They are yummy either way!
- Eat right away or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days in an air tight container.