This is the Best Potato Salad. Period. If you’re tired of searching for the perfect potato salad recipe, you’ve found the perfect summer side dish recipe right here!
This homemade potato salad has all the goods from red onions to celery and plenty of chopped-up eggs. The combination of the mayonnaise and yellow mustard with a splash of sweet relish creates a flavor that you just can’t top.
This really is the best potato salad recipe and is as close to that traditional potato salad flavoring that we all grew up loving. If you’re looking for an easy recipe, this is the one for you.
This creamy potato salad recipe is good on its own but make certain that you pair it up with this Instant Pot Corn On The Cob and our BBQ Pulled Pork. Literally a perfect summer meal! Pair either of these with this easy potato salad recipe and you’ve got quite the winning meal!
The Best Potato Salad
What I really love about this simple salad made with potatoes is that the texture is really, really good. I’m a fan of a thicker-style potato salad that really gives me a good bite.
And even though I really love to make this recipe during the summer months, it can easily be made all year long. The simplicity of this recipe is what makes it the best because there are no strange ingredients in it that you’ll have to worry about tracking down. If you love the classic flavor of a good potato salad, don’t miss out on this crowd-pleaser.
You could even use up some leftover boiled potatoes that you had sitting around the house as a way to stretch your budget!
Last but not least, make certain that you doctor it up with spices that you’re craving as each person can make this dish taste just how they want. Adding in some chili pepper is a super simple way to add a little bit of heat!
Make certain to make this dish up ahead of time and give it the chance to chill. Eating it when it’s nice and cool is a great taste and flavor.
Leave the premade potato salad at the store and make up your own made from scratch potato salad at home. There’s just something so refreshing about the flavor!
Every single time that I make this simple recipe, I can’t wait to enjoy it the next day! When I make up this southern potato salad recipe, you know that it’s that time of year!
Ingredients needed to make the best ever potato salad
- potatoes – I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes but Russets or red potatoes would also work well too.
- red onion – has a great flavor and goes great in this recipe!
- celery – celery provides a little flavor plus some crunch!
- eggs – my favorite way to hard boil eggs is in the instant pot. It’s so easy!
- salt + pepper – staples in any recipe!
- paprika – gives this dish a smokey flavor that is just right!
- sweet relish – you can’t have a potato salad without sweet relish. It’s key! (some people like to use dill relish as well which can always be an option if that is what your tastebuds want!)
- mayonnaise – REAL mayonnaise is best for a creamy, rich taste.
- yellow mustard – is classic for this old-fashioned potato salad recipe! If you want to kick it up a notch, use dijon.
How To Make The Best Potato Salad
It’s so easy to make this classic potato salad recipe! Once you have your potato salad ingredients, you’re ready to get started with the steps below!
Step 1: Cook the potatoes
Add potatoes to a large saucepan, cover with water, adding 1-2 inches above potatoes and cook until fork-tender.
Step 2: Cool the potatoes
Remove from water, and add to a large bowl with water and ice to stop the cooking process and make peeling easier. Leave in ice water for about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Cut up the potatoes
Remove the skins from the potatoes, rinse and cut into small cubes.
Step 4: Add the ingredients into a bowl
Add to a large bowl with chopped celery, onions, and chopped eggs.
Step 5: Whisk
In a small bowl, combine the other ingredients and whisk until well combined.
Step 6: Mix with the potatoes
Add to potatoes and stir to combine.
Step 7: Chill
Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Step 8: Store
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Potato Salad Variations:
Customize this potato salad recipe for your crowd. There are so many different ways you could make it!
- Use different potatoes: Everyone has a different opinion about the best potatoes for potato salad! I say use whichever you love — Yukon Golds, Russets, red potatoes — all will work.
- Add bacon: Bacon is always good with potatoes!
- Add fresh herbs: Feel free to also mix any fresh herbs you might love — chives, dill, parsley, basil, thyme, etc. — into this potato salad.
- Omit the pickle relish: If you don’t love pickles, just take them out! Sweet pickles or dill pickles both work for this salad as well!
- Change up the mustard: If you don’t care for yellow mustard, swap it out for dijon mustard or spicy mustard. Or do a half and half mixture!
- Change up the mayo: If mayonnaise is not your thing, try vegan or full-fat plain Greek yogurt instead. Some people even like to use Miracle Whip.
Tips For Making The Best Potato Salad
Do you have to peel the potatoes for this potato salad recipe?
You don’t have to, but if you choose not to just be certain to wash the potatoes really, really well. There is a lot of dirt on the outside of potatoes so getting them clean is the key. I find that when I peel potatoes, it just creates a creamy texture that I enjoy.
How long will potato salad stay good in the fridge?
I have a rule of thumb to try to eat leftovers within 3 days of making them. This keeps the flavor and taste as fresh as possible. I always look forward to the next time I eat this recipe because this classic recipe is so good the next day.
Can you freeze potato salad?
Yes, it is possible to freeze potato salad but it really doesn’t taste or look the same. The potatoes will become mushy and the mayonnaise will get watery. It’s best to eat potato salad within a few days or just throw it out.
Should you rinse potatoes after boiling for potato salad?
This is up to you. Rinsing the cooked potatoes will wash off the starch from the potatoes, and this is what will make the potato salad thicker. You can either choose to rinse them or not – either is fine.
Should you salt water when boiling potatoes?
There is no set rule that says you have to add salt to the potatoes, but a lot of people do because they say that it adds some flavoring. Again, this step can be optional.
Why is my potato salad gummy?
If you don’t let the hot potatoes cool down after they’ve cooked, you’ll notice that the end result of your potato salad will have a gummy texture.
Enjoy this super simple potato salad recipe! This is a great addition to a family get-together, BBQ, or summer carry-in!
Looking for even more simple side dishes? Check out the other great options below!
- 6-8 medium potatoes about 2 pounds
- ¼ cup red onion chopped finely
- 3 stalks celery chopped finely
- 3 eggs hard boiled, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika plus more for garnish if desired
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Add potatoes to large saucepan, cover with water, adding 1-2 inches above potatoes and cook until fork tender
- Remove from water, add to a large bowl with water and ice to stop the cooking process and make peeling easier. Leave in ice water about 5 minutes
- Remove skins from potatoes, rinse and cut into small cubes
- Add to large bowl with chopped celery, onions and chopped eggs
- In a small bowl, combine the other ingredients and whisk until well combined
- Add to potatoes and stir to combine
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve
- Store leftovers in an airtight container
Try these recipes next!
Pin this image for later!