These 7 quick and easy Meal Planning Tips will have you scheduling meals like a pro and saving time and money in no time!
This post has been sponsored by Jewel-Osco. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It’s hard to believe that fall is underway. While this is one of my favorite times of the year, it’s also one of the busiest times of year in my household. School has started and with that brings nightly homework, school events, fall baseball, and dance practices.
Our days are filled from morning until night. And, not to mention, we still have to do all the normal life activities of shopping, laundry, cooking, cleaning, and daily chores. There’s a lot going on! I’ve found that all the craziness of the days can really get to me if I’m not organized and prepared by making sure I have everything I need on hand!
I use Google Calendar that my husband has access to so that we can add events and stay on the same page. And I also have a running to-do and shopping list app that I love! I have to stay organized or I forget about so much.
One of the ways I find most helpful for my family is to meal plan each week. By having a plan in place for what we’re eating each day helps keep me from running out to get takeout or eating peanut butter and jelly every night. (which I don’t mind some days!)
One of my favorite grocery stores usually has amazing deals each week – Jewel- Osco. I always check my Jewel-Osco app and MyMixx program for the best deals of the week! There’s always a ton of savings that are great for stocking my pantry and adding fresh foods for my weekly meal plan.
I’ve come up with a few tips that I do each week when planning out our week that could help you, too! Plus, it’s a great reminder for me!
7 Easy Meal Planning Tips
1. Write it down! Grab a pen, paper and your meal plan printable sheet or use an app on your phone to schedule your meals for the week. Saturday or Sunday are great days to do this when you’re not too busy.
2. Take Inventory. Start by taking an inventory of what you have on hand in your pantry, fridge, and freezer. What do you currently have that you can make a meal with or can add to make a meal? This saves time and money when planning out your meal plan for the week!
3. Check Your Calendar. Next, look at your calendar for the week, take note of what nights you’ll be busy with after-school activities or other commitments. Mark those nights on your meal plan. Make sure that you plan easier meals for those nights and plan more involved recipes on nights you have a little more time to prepare them.
4. Plan Your Meals. On the nights you’re busy, plan ahead and use your slow cooker or Instant Pot for something easy and delicious like Italian Beef Sandwiches or Taco Soup – both which are pretty each to prepare if you have a few things in your pantry. You could also pick up a meal from the deli – a rotisserie chicken or a take-and-bake pizza – add in a vegetable or salad for a delicious meal that’s quick and easy!
5. Check Store Ads And Apps. When deciding what meals to make check the sale ads for your local grocery store and make plan your meals according to what’s on sale and what you have on hand. This is a great way to save time and money! I love not having to pick up every single ingredient for a meal because I’m using what I have on hand along with buying a few items. That’s definitely a time and money saver!
6. Write Out Your Plan. Once you decide what you’d like to make, add the meals to your meal planner and make a grocery list as you go. When you add a meal to your plan, write down what you need to pick up at the store on your grocery list. TIP: if you’re really familiar with your grocery store, make your grocery list according to the location in the store. I always start at the back and work forward. This ensures I don’t forget anything and have to run back and forth in the store!
Jewel-Osco is having a big Stock Up Sale that I always look forward to. It’s when I stock up on some of our favorite products at the best prices!
I purchased these products and more at my local Jewel-Osco, but you can also stock up and save at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, and Carrs/Safeway. Visit the Jewel-Osco website to find a store near you and discover some fun meal prep tips and recipe ideas!
The products mentioned in this post are on sale at the Albertsons Companies family of stores from 10/10/18 to 10/16/18. Products on sale at United retailers may differ.