White Chicken Enchiladas
Ready in under an hour, these White Chicken Enchiladas are perfect for weeknight dinners, special occasions, and even meal prep.
Prep Time30 minutes mins
Cook Time20 minutes mins
Total Time50 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: chicken, Chicken Enchiladas, enchilada, enchiladas, White Chicken Enchiladas
Author: Kasey Schwartz
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz green chilies
- ½ cup Pepper Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack or Queso cheese shredded
For the enchiladas:
- 3 cups shredded chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 8 flour tortillas large
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a bowl, add cooked chicken, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Assemble the tortillas by splitting the mixture evenly between 8 tortillas.
Top each tortilla evenly with the Monterey Jack cheese.
Roll tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish.
Make the Sauce:
In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter and allow to melt. Once melted add flour and whisk together.
Next, add in chicken broth, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
Mix in the sour cream, salt, pepper, green chilies, and Pepper Jack cheese.
Pour the white sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
Top with the last cup of shredded cheese.
Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and barely starting to brown.
- Fry the tortillas first – No one likes soggy tortillas! The flour in the sauce certainly helps with consistency, but you can also lightly fry your tortillas first. This adds some time an and extra step to the recipe, but it will add a nice crispness to the tortillas and prevent them from falling apart when you put your enchiladas together.
- Turn up the heat – If you like spicier foods, you can add some diced jalapeños to the inside of your enchiladas, or even just a bit of chili powder into the sauce!
- Enjoy the leftovers – Enchiladas take great the next day! I personally always love to have leftovers, as they make a tasty weekday lunch. Store your enchiladas in an airtight container in the fridge, and they will be good for 3-4 days.
Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 1449mg | Potassium: 441mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 777IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 593mg | Iron: 3mg