Instead of getting overwhelmed by a daunting holiday to-do list, here are some things you can do now to reduce your stress during the holiday season.
The holiday season is just around the corner, and you might already be thinking of all of the things you need to get done. Instead of getting overwhelmed by a daunting holiday to-do list, here are some things you can do now to reduce your stress during the holiday season:
Things You Can Do Now to Stress Less About the Holidays
- Schedule your holiday activities now. Put everything on your calendar, including school programs, parties, and performances. It’s good to have a clear idea of what you’ll be doing during the holiday season, and it helps to see when you’ll have pockets of free time.
- Plan your gift giving. Make a list of all of the gifts you’d like to give during the holiday season. That way, you can start making homemade gifts or go shopping with a clear plan and a set budget. Be sure to include any plans for charitable giving and gifts for teachers, postmen, etc.
- If you’re sending holiday cards, get them ready early. There’s no reason why you can’t order photo cards, address envelopes, or write a holiday update right now. You can save your finished cards, and mail them out in December.
- Make treats and freeze them for later. If you traditionally make cookies or other sweets that are easily freezable, make up a few batches now. It will save you time in November and December, and give you the feeling of having a big task done way ahead of time.
- Start to get your home ready. If you know you want to hang pictures, have your carpets cleaned, or invest in a small home repair before the holidays, take care of it now. Even if you just spruce up your family room a little bit, you’ll feel much less anxious about having guests over during the holidays.
Taking the time to do some things to get ready for the holidays is a great way to take care of yourself, and lower your stress level. By getting things done early, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment, and you’ll reduce your holiday-related stress.
Check out these holiday posts next!