One of my favorite things to make is kid-friendly and fun desserts! I love to serve my kids treats that are fun and exciting that results in tons of praise and compliments for the cook. (that’s me!)
This cake was originally made popular by “Whisk Kid” blogger Kaitlin Flannery, on the Martha Stewart show. But, my take is a rainbow colored, doctored up box mix, made with homemade butter cream frosting. It is both fun and yummy to eat! If given the choice, the kids (and adults!) will choose this cake over anything else on the dessert table, every time!
2 boxes white cake mix
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
16 oz container sour cream
* Mix all ingredients together as directed on box mix
* Divide mixture evenly into 6 bowls
* Add rainbow colored gel to each bowl until you get the hue you like – Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet
* Grease and flour round cake pans. You can use as many as you have on hand – I have 3 pans so I bake in two batches.
* Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
* Cool completely in pans and turn out onto a smooth surface to rest while filling and baking other layers of cake.
* With prepared butter cream, place a dab of frosting in center of cake plate to secure bottom layer. Add frosting to center of cake, spreading out to edges. Continue to add layers and frosting as you go.
* Place a thin crumb coat over the entire cake and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to harden before frosting.
* Frost cake with remainder of butter cream and decorate with rainbow sprinkles or leave white.
* Refrigerate cake to set frosting and to make it easier to slice.
Rainbow Layer Cake is little time consuming, but well worth the effort and so BEAUTIFUL!