Most families take advantage of the warmer months to sell their home and move into a new one. The task of moving can be daunting, but with a little planning and organization, you can tackle it with ease!
Having moved TWO times last summer, once to a rental while we looked for a home and then once to our home we bought, I kinda feel like an expert! Hopefully these 10 Moving Tips to Make Make Moving Easy can help you!
1. Get Rid of Clutter – the #1 thing to make moving a breeze is to get rid of everything you don’t need. The less things you have, the easier it is to move what you do have! Sell, donate or throw away anything you don’t actually need.
2. Gather Packing Supplies – Gather packing supplies a couple of weeks before your move. Boxes, of all sizes, packing tape, labels, markers, and bubble wrap should be at the top of your list!
3. Label – Label everything. Label everything that you pack away and what room the box should go in at the new house. This will save you a lot of headache when you’re looking for the silverware and other necessities!
4. Start Packing – Start packing two weeks before your move. Pack up anything you can do without – holiday decor, extra dishes and kitchen items, out of season clothes and knick knacks. This will make packing much easier when it gets close to time to move!
5. Hire A Cleaning Company – To take some burden off your plate, hire a cleaning company to come in and clean your home after you move and to get your new home ready. The peace of mind of having this done will save you a ton!
6. Rent Furniture – This may seem out of the box, but moving into a new home you may not know what kind of things you will need. And if you’re like me, you may need to live in a house a while to get an idea of just what you need. Try a company such as CORT Furniture Rental to rent tables, chairs, sofas, and even decor! Read more about this option below! It can save you money and time while you’re figuring out what you need long term!
7. Pack A Last Out Box – Pack all of your things that you will need – shampoo, soap, pillows, extra clothes, medications, etc; into a box that will stay with you and that you can easily get to when you move.
8. Direct Movers – On moving day, direct family, friends or even professional movers on where to take things at your new home. Have them take boxes and pieces of furniture to the rooms they belong in for easy unpacking!
9. Check New Home – When you get to your new home, check that things are in working condition – smoke detectors, toilets, water and hot water heater are on, furnace or a/c works, etc. That way you can get help to your home quickly to fix those things so that you’re not inconvenienced when the moving is complete.
10. Unpack – Start to unpack the most important things to get settled – kitchen items, bathrooms, bedrooms and clothes are at the top of the list. Once those things are done, you can focus on the others. Be sure to purge anything you come across that you don’t need that you may have missed during the initial purge.
With just a little planning, moving can be a breeze and these 10 Tips to Make Moving can help!
Wondering if renting furniture is right for you?
Companies such as CORT Furniture Rental are often the solution for many families! CORT provides services and solutions for both individuals and families facing life’s transitions. Whether you are involved in a relocation, traveling long-distance on temporary assignment, moving off-campus in college or traveling from place to place in the military are all facing the same thing – a life in transition. The CORT family of trained professionals can help you find a place to live, navigate your new area and furnish your place for however long you need it. It’s a great option for individuals in many life transitions to rent furniture!0