Chicken Pot Pie Casserole has everything you love about chicken pot pie, but it’s baked in a casserole dish! Vegetables and tender rotisserie chicken are paired with a creamy sauce, then topped with pillowy biscuits for a delicious dinner your whole family will devour!
My family loves traditional chicken pot pie, but sometimes I just don’t want to fuss with homemade pie crust, making a roux, and cutting all those veggies. This easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is pot pie for a weeknight dinner! It’s one of my favorite comfort foods.
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
First, it’s made with rotisserie chicken. This means it’s super quick and easy to put together. Simply shred the meat for the chicken pot pie filling and you’re good to go.
(I love dinners made with rotisserie chicken because it lets me get a few meals from a single bird—serve it with mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus the first night and if you still have some left, use it to make Chicken Divan or Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Total weeknight win!)
Next, the veggies. I use a frozen mixed veggie blend that has carrots, corn, green beans, and peas for my Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. Frozen vegetables are just as healthy as fresh—sometimes even healthier since they’re frozen at the peak of freshness, preserving all of their vitamins and nutrients!—and they save you so much prep time.
Instead of using butter, flour, milk, onion, and garlic to make a creamy sauce, cream of chicken soup is an easy shortcut that helps you get dinner on the table faster without compromising flavor.
And then there’s no pie crust either—we use biscuits instead in this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole! No one will miss the crust when you have soft, pillowy biscuits to sop up all that creamy goodness.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Butter – I recommend using unsalted butter for this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole recipe.
- Frozen mixed vegetables – Corn, carrots, peas, green beans, etc.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chicken stock
- Store-bought rotisserie chicken – You could also use an Instant Pot Whole Chicken.
- Italian parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- Pillsbury Grand biscuits
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
2. Cook the Vegetables
Melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the frozen vegetables to the melted butter and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Make the Sauce
Add the condensed cream of chicken soup and 1 cup of chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then season to taste.
4. Finish the Filling
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the chicken and parsley. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more stock. Pour the filling mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
5. Pre-Bake the Biscuits
On a parchment-lined sheet pan, “pre-bake” the biscuits for half their recommended cooking time. This will keep them from getting soggy in the casserole.
Place the biscuits upside down into the casserole dish over the chicken mixture and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This dish is best served fresh, but leftovers will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or reheat the entire dish in a 350ºF oven until warmed through.
I like to serve this casserole with a simple green salad on the side since it’s pretty much a one-dish dinner with protein, veggies, and carbs. If your family isn’t into salads, steamed broccoli is a great side dish, too!
The sauce is usually made with a roux of flour and butter, and then milk is added to create a thick and creamy sauce. In this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, we skip the roux and used condensed cream of chicken soup as a shortcut!
The name “pot pie” comes from the fact that the dish is traditionally baked in a pot, with pastry crust lining the bottom and top.
You can freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge and then reheat according to the instructions above.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Easy White Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
- Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 12oz bag frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans, etc.)
- 1 10oz can cream of chicken
- 1-2 cups chicken stock
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken meat removed and shredded or chopped
- ½ cup Italian parsley chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 can Pilsbury Grand biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the frozen vegetables and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cream of chicken and 1 cup of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and season to taste.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped chicken and parsley and stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more stock. Pour filling into a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- On a parchment lined sheet pan, “pre-bake” the biscuits for half their recommended cooking time. Once done, remove them and place them upside down onto the filling in the baking dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown.