This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of King Digital Entertainment for IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.
We just got back from a long road trip with the kids to Disney World. Twenty hours in the car with three children, ages 9, 7 and 3, calls for a plan to keep everyone happy! Since family road trips are where memories are made – make sure they’re happy memories with just a little planning ahead of time. Whether you’re driving across the state or driving across the country, you’re going to need some ideas to keep the kids (and parents) happy while on the road. Be prepared and plan ahead a few activities and tricks to keep everyone busy and smiling the whole way! These 5 Tips For Road Trips With Kids is a great way to ensure a great family trip!
1. Pack everyone their own car bag. For each of my kids, I had a small bag full of their favorites – toys, book to read, electronics and crayons and coloring books. That way you don’t have to keep passing out activities the whole time and can enjoy the ride.
2. Family games. A great way to pass the time is to have games you play as a family together while you drive. Whether it’s spotting licence plates and marking off each state as you go or going a little more high tech with an app on your phone – have something (or several activities) you do together during the trip. One of the things we really had fun with was playing an app on my phone called AlphaBetty Saga. This game is an spelling game that the whole family can get in on! AlphaBetty Saga is a new word game which requires players to go on a journey around the world to discover lost words and complete the “Encyclopedia of Everything.” This vibrant word-based game requires players to connect adjacent letters to spell out words and score points, with more complex words rewarded with higher point scores. One thing we would do is to take turns passing my phone around the car and each person would get a turn to make a word and pass it on. It was fun to complete levels and work together. Plus, it was a great way to pass the time AND get a little education in!
3. Rewards system. One way to create a little fun (and good behavior) in the car is to have a reward system in place. Make a little fun, decorated bag with incentives in it – DJ for an hour, pick up a treat at the next stop, $2 for shopping at destination, etc. Each time a child is “caught being good” allow them to pick an incentive from the bag. This was so much fun for my kids and they looked forward to the next time they were able to chose a fun incentive from the bag. I made our bag all in Disney stickers and shapes. It just added a little excitement to our journey! I’ll have full tutorial to come soon on this one! Check back!
4. Pack Fun Snacks. This may seem obvious, but the trick to having this little tip work is packing snacks that are exciting and fun! I picked up a lot of items we don’t have every day – like fruit snacks and rollups, Disney themed crackers and cookies, lollipops and more – that would actually seem like a fun treat in the car. Yes, there was a little more “junk” than I would normally give the kids, but it kept them happy and it was a real treat!
5. Stop Often. Of course, we all want to make the “best time” and just get there, but breaking up the trip and taking a small break every couple of hours is good idea! Stopping at rest areas with playgrounds is a great way to get a little exercise and stay on schedule. Getting the kids out to run around a bit, have a bathroom break and stretch, is a perfect way to keep everyone happy!
Planning your road trip activities in advance is a sure way to keep everyone happy and smiling while creating awesome family memories!
Have any other tips? Share them with me in the comments below!
* AlphaBetty Saga is the first word-based “saga” game from King Digital, creator of Candy Crush franchise and Farm Heroes Saga.