It’s New Year’s Day and while everyone is having Black Eyed Peas and Greens – I’m having Buckeyes!
That’s right! Maybe it’s not right in line with my New Year’s Resolution to get healthier – but it is inline with my resolution to create more happiness and these Buckeyes definitely make me happy!
My sister-in-law, Jenifer, makes the best Buckeyes EVER. They’re seriously like a little bite of heaven – creamy, rich, peanut butter, chocolatey goodness in each bite. She only makes them once a year at Christmastime. But, I’m going to rally for her to make them for Valentines Day, Easter and maybe even President’s Day! They’re that good!
I wasn’t sure if she’d share her TOP SECRET recipe with me (it has to be secret if they’re that good, right?!) but when I asked, she was more than happy to AND she said I could share them with YOU! YAY! Now YOU and I can make the very best Buckeyes EVER! Now…run out, get the ingredients and make these yummy balls of heaven today to start the New Year off right!
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate bark
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.
- Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.