There’s just nothing like a big piece of homemade chocolate cake with creamy, chocolate frosting and a tall glass of milk.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have time to make a recipe from scratch. And If I do have time, will it turn out awesome every time? So, I have a little trick up my sleeve to make a Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade!
On some occasions, I turn to a doctored up cake mix to get the best cake and cupcakes around!
Did you know that most professional cake makers use boxed cake mixes? They do!
I had no idea until I saw one of our town’s biggest wedding cake bakers checking out at the store with powdered sugar, butter, eggs and several boxes of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix! I couldn’t believe it!
I could have sworn her cakes were homemade! Nope.
My Favorite Items to Use When Making Cakes At Home
Wilton Recipe Right 2 Piece Round Pan Set, 9-InchWilton Recipe Right 9×13 Oblong Pan with CoverKitchenAid KSM155GBRI 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl – Raspberry IceWilton Decorate Smart Small Cake LevelerNow Designs Tin Cake Stand, AquaWilton 409-7716 Angled Icing Spatula, 13-Inch, Black
Apparently, the box mixes include the perfect mix of ingredients for a perfectly finished cake – every time!
So, I decided to give it a try.
Yep! It tasted just like it was made from scratch! I was sold.
There is definitely a time for a homemade, from scratch cake – but there is also a time for doctoring up a boxed mix to make it taste just like homemade.
Here are my 10 Tricks to Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Like Homemade!
Try adding a few of these tips to your box cake mix to make it taste just like homemade!
- Milk. Use whole milk instead of water. It gives it a denser texture like homemade.
- Eggs. Use 3-4 eggs instead of 2 for a richer taste.
- Sugar & Flour. Add 1/4- 1 cup sugar and flour to your cake mix.
- Coffee. For chocolate cakes, use strong brewed coffee instead of water to deepen the flavor.
- Sour Cream. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream to add a more dense, rich flavor.
- Pudding. Add a small instant pudding box to the mix to add moisture and flavor.
- Vanilla & Salt. Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of salt the mix.
- Butter. Use melted butter in the place of vegetable oil for richer taste.
- Mix Ins – Add a handful of chocolate chips, fruit or nuts to personalize your cake.
- Frosting. Make homemade frosting! This is a MUST for cakes. It makes all the difference the world!
That’s it! Try a few of these tricks the next time you have a cake to bake. I have a feeling you will be reaching for a box mix more often!
If you want to see some of these tricks in action, check out this video where I make this cake LIVE on Good Day Marketplace HERE!
Do you have any tricks that I didn’t mention that you use? Share them with me in the comments below!
CLICK BELOW FOR
for my FREE printable cheat sheet for
Pin This Post for Later!
Check out these awesome cake mix recipes!
Heath Bar Cake – it’s sooooo good!
Coconut Cream Cupcakes – my favorite!
Air Head Candy Cupcakes – the kids love them!